STB not sending audio properly
Whocares21

This is hard to explain. This just started happening, and I changed no settings on the STB or my receiver. 

Most content that is in surround sound is coming across fine, however some stereo content comes across muffled. For example audio for NFL on NBC is fine, however, when commercials come on, there is no audio signal to the center channel, making the audio seem muffled - so you hear the music for the commercial on the L/R channels, but you can barely hear the people talking, because there is no signal to the center channel. Then football comes back on and the audio is fine. The receiver shows a surround signal the whole time.

Some channels seem to also be like this with the content, and they show a surround signal to the receiver, but there is only the muffled audio to the L/R speakers and no audio to the center channel.

However, some channels that send a stereo signal sound fine. 

I have tried switching the audio pass through option. It setting it enable (default) the fixes the issue for SOME but not all channels/shows/content. Setting it to disable makes it worse for more channels. 

I have tried entering the “service menu” aka the BUI menu, by hitting power on the STB, OK twice, then left.  Then changing audio output to L-PCM in the Additional HDMI menu. This sends ALL  channels and content to the receiver in stereo and it is muffled. 

Everything used to work. I think these issues came with an update to the STB. I think it’s an issue with how the STB is either up converting or sending PCM. 

0 Likes
Re: STB not sending audio properly
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Whocares2 wrote:

This is hard to explain. This just started happening, and I changed no settings on the STB or my receiver. 

Most content that is in surround sound is coming across fine, however some stereo content comes across muffled. For example audio for NFL on NBC is fine, however, when commercials come on, there is no audio signal to the center channel, making the audio seem muffled - so you hear the music for the commercial on the L/R channels, but you can barely hear the people talking, because there is no signal to the center channel. Then football comes back on and the audio is fine. The receiver shows a surround signal the whole time.

Some channels seem to also be like this with the content, and they show a surround signal to the receiver, but there is only the muffled audio to the L/R speakers and no audio to the center channel.

However, some channels that send a stereo signal sound fine. 

I have tried switching the audio pass through option. It setting it enable (default) the fixes the issue for SOME but not all channels/shows/content. Setting it to disable makes it worse for more channels. 

I have tried entering the “service menu” aka the BUI menu, by hitting power on the STB, OK twice, then left.  Then changing audio output to L-PCM in the Additional HDMI menu. This sends ALL  channels and content to the receiver in stereo and it is muffled. 

Everything used to work. I think these issues came with an update to the STB. I think it’s an issue with how the STB is either up converting or sending PCM. 

You could try setting the audio in the Box menu to Surround, and pass through to enabled and see what happens. Are you also sure the audio decoding settings on the receiver are still the same?

0 Likes