STB (QIP7216) does not receive remote control signal when my Sony Bravia LCD HDTv is on
Zowar1363
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have had trouble with this STB for the last 6 months with it not responding to the remote control, the picture would go black (with sound in background) or it would switch to On-Demand all by itself while you were in the middle of watching a recording! Verizon sent us a new STB and a new remote, and NOW the STB does not respond to the remote at all! After spending an hour reviewing the Fios boards I see that this issue with the remote control signal has been a problem for at least 4 years! I cannot believe that I spent an hour on the phone with a rep. going through the "resetting", "rebooting", "unplugging".... to have no improvement of the issue. "We'll send you a new remote"...I said, the remote is not the problem it is the ability of the STB to receive the IR signal! HUH?!!! was the response of the rep!  They are going to send me an IR extender.......does this really solve the problem?

How is it that after 4 years Verizon has not fixed this issue? How is it that Verizon does not automatically give an IR extender to each customer and explain what it is for? How is it that Verizon's Representatives act as if they have never heard of this issue when you call for help?!! They need to educate their staff, or Comcast is going to get a new customer!

0 Likes
Re: STB (QIP7216) does not receive remote control signal when my Sony Bravia LCD HDTv is on
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If it's interference from your TV (which it sounds like) then yes the IR extender should fix your problem.  

Verizon doesn't give an IR extender to every customer, because it's a small problem, and if you take a sampling from this board and the tens of thousands of posts, you'll find no more than a dozen or so complaints about similiar issues.  

I might be on the low side with the dozen complaints, but whatever number it is, it's miniscule.  It's very frustrating, yes, but it doesn't affect even 1 in ten I would bet.

Some people have also fixed the problem by changing their TV Picture settings, so take it off of the stock dynamic picture setting, maybe try a custom setting and see if it helps the problem.  Usually it will if it's IR interference.

0 Likes