STBs black screen after upgrade
Strider76

All of my STBs including the primary will go to a black screen after pressing the “menu” button to start watching. This will happen at least once a day and seems to have started after we were upgraded to FIOS Gigabit. 

We can view the guide but there is no video. I need to reboot the STB every time this happens. Reboot seems to temporarily fix the problem. Any ideas what the problem may be?

0 Likes
Re: STBs black screen after upgrade
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model router do you have? Have you tried rebooting it?

0 Likes
Strider76

I have a G1100. I should note that I am using my own router. (Set up as Option 6 from dslreports). N7000 router connected to ONT through CAT6. LAN port from N7000 to WAN port on G1100. They are set up on different subnets. Coax from ONT to G1100. The TV guide works ok. I verified that I can reach the internet from the G1100.

I should also note that this setup was working ok for 6 months on a 150/150 speed. It seems that the issue started when I was upgraded to Gigabit speeds (which was done remotely by Verizon)

0 Likes
Strider76

I have tried rebooting the ONT as well as both routers.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are ipcs and VMS all on same subnet?

Not sure why a speed upgrade would make a change, but that is one risk when using your own network equipment.

0 Likes
Magicat
Enthusiast - Level 2

I often have a similar "black (blank) screen" issue. Instead of having to always physically reset the STB, I found an easier solution: I watch a specific video (on YouTube) for a few seconds which magically makes the black-screen problem disappear and I can return to normal viewing. It usually happens once or twice a day but fortunately I have a relatively easy, quick fix for this extremely weird, annoying problem. Hopefully Verizon will someday resolve this issue.

0 Likes