Re: Suddenly Poor Picture Quality and Missing Channels After Years of Perfect Reception
Fairmindedberea
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't know if this is the problem or will help, but we experienced a problem which continued to exist in a similar manner.  They finally replaced our (working just fine) router box and that seems to have fixed the problem.   The thing is, my son went through the "new" router box's history and found that it had been "refurbished".  

You may be unaware of it, but if you had anything installed FROM Verizon, they rarely use "new" devices (even if the packaging appears that way).  Virtually all of it is recycled and refurbished.  In other words, you may be experiencing somebody else's problem which is now in your house.  Just a thought.  

Re: Suddenly Poor Picture Quality and Missing Channels After Years of Perfect Reception
stampman1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply.  This is really frustrating watching these guys come in here already assuming the problem in in a house where NOTHING changed, instead of their equipment.  I plugged one TV connected to one cable box DIRECTLY into their main box in the basement and STILL have a bad signal.  But I am still being told to look for old splitters and reset STB’s.  

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you say connected directly to box in basement, I assume it is ont. Are you using any of the  same cables?  If so, is it possible to try a brand new cable direct from ont to a stb? And then run snr test? If still poor, that should be enough to prove it can only be FiOS equipment. Cables can go bad over time. Develop small cracks and then let moisture in.

stampman1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I bought a brand new cable to do that test.  The thing is,  there is something the techs do to make it work for a few hours, long enough for you to think the problem is fixed, then things go back to the way they were.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry to keep asking, but when you say Verizon junction box, do you mean direct to the ONT? Or is there another cable between ONT and this junction box?

0 Likes
stampman1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry, I am not up on the abbreviations.  There is a black box by the back door.  Inside there is something that looks like a brick-sized power supply,  below it is something that looks like a brick-sized modem.  The wire from the street plugs into it, there are 2 phone jacks coming out and a place where coax screws in.  The is the box where FiOS comes into the house.  I guess that has to be the ont.

0 Likes
stampman1
Enthusiast - Level 3

That is where I plugged in my test wire.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, that is the ont.

Do you have more than 1 stb? If so, have you done this on others to make sure it is not a single box issue.

I know you have gone through support before, but try reaching out via twitter @verizonsupport

Let them know everything you have done.

Sounds like an ont issue. Have you tried to power reset it?

stampman1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have 6 STB's.  I did not try other STB's because one of the things the last tech did was switch them around, trying to see if that made a difference, it did not make a difference.  None of them can show Velocity channel, along with FYI, NFL Network, History Channel or the HD ABC affiliate.  They are all failing the exact same way.  Every STB has been reset, the ONT has been unplugged and plugged and unplugged and plugged and so were all of the STB's.  So my wife will call again, one of us will miss another day of work, they will will look at numbers and reset and unplug stuff, then make that phone call and everything will work... then stop working around 10:30 PM or so.  

0 Likes
stampman1
Enthusiast - Level 3

We have had 6 STB's for over 3 years now with FiOS, and we had 6 when we were with comcast.

0 Likes