Super LOUD volume on - FS1, FS2, FX, FXM, BIG10, NBCSN, AXS
ff1690
Enthusiast - Level 2

All of a sudden the above stations' volume is absurdly loud. There may be other stations' that I have not found as yet.

Has anyone else noticed this?

It really is a show stopper when surfing channels, especially at night in bed. I mean it's not a bit louder, as I understand some stations do vary a little bit here and there. The volume on the station's I listed blow you out of your chair. Like 3X the volume of other stations. 

Nothing amiss with my setup. I run from the FIOS TV1 box to a 5.1 amp. This just happened within the last month.

JImm

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Super LOUD volume on - FS1, FS2, FX, FXM, BIG10, NBCSN, AXS
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ff1690 wrote:

All of a sudden the above stations' volume is absurdly loud. There may be other stations' that I have not found as yet.

It really is a show stopper when surfing channels, especially at night in bed. I mean it's not a bit louder, as I understand some stations do vary a little bit here and there. The volume on the station's I listed blow you out of your chair. Like 3X the volume of other stations. 

Nothing amiss with my setup. I run from the FIOS TV1 box to a 5.1 amp. This just happened within the last month.

JImm

Unfortunately the FCC doesn't police the networks as they should. There are a lot of ways broadcasters can circumvent loudness standards, like pumping up the volume in surround channels or compressing the signal to incredible levels. That is what you are hearing. You could try going to: menu>settings>audio and video>audio > dynamic range and set it to heavy. That should bring the louder stations closer to the normal ones.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ff1690 wrote:

JImm

Unfortunately the FCC doesn't police the networks as they should. There are a lot of ways broadcasters can circumvent loudness standards, like pumping up the volume in surround channels or compressing the signal to incredible levels. That is what you are hearing. You could try going to: menu>settings>audio and video>audio > dynamic range and set it to heavy. That should bring the louder stations closer to the normal ones.

Vid10t

"You could try going to: menu>settings>audio and video>audio > dynamic range and set it to heavy. That should bring the louder stations closer to the normal ones."

No Kudos, Not Helpful. Doesn't work. Who gets to check this issue as solved? It's not resolved.

Audio levels dramatically changing from one channel to another is unacceptable for a service that costs this much. For background, all video streams entering the FIOS ecosystem are transcoded (from the telecaster's compression format to FIOS' internal compression format) and transrated (from the telecaster's higher datarate to FIOS' much lower data rate). With this much processing taking place at the headend, are we to believe loudness normalization isn't possible? I'm sure these systems clamp video  brightness to 100%, why not audio? The only reason this is taking place is because it's intentional.

Here's what I think: These channels are paying for the loudness to be bumped up. It's not a lapse in signal standardization. It's a revenue stream for FIOS. Good luck getting it fixed. 

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Vid10t wrote:

"You could try going to: menu>settings>audio and video>audio > dynamic range and set it to heavy. That should bring the louder stations closer to the normal ones."

No Kudos, Not Helpful. Doesn't work. Who gets to check this issue as solved? It's not resolved.

Audio levels dramatically changing from one channel to another is unacceptable for a service that costs this much. For background, all video streams entering the FIOS ecosystem are transcoded (from the telecaster's compression format to FIOS' internal compression format) and transrated (from the telecaster's higher datarate to FIOS' much lower data rate). With this much processing taking place at the headend, are we to believe loudness normalization isn't possible? I'm sure these systems clamp video  brightness to 100%, why not audio? The only reason this is taking place is because it's intentional.

Here's what I think: These channels are paying for the loudness to be bumped up. It's not a lapse in signal standardization. It's a revenue stream for FIOS. Good luck getting it fixed. 

If you truly think its Verizon doing the un-leveling of stations, then why is it the SAME channels that are unusually loud on ATT U-Verse too? I had both services and the same channels are louder on both services. According to your theory, they must be paying BOTH providers to allow their volume to be way above other stations. Also the only reason anybody in today's world would want to do this is for radio, where people used to scan for channels by turning a dial, and the louder stations won peoples attention. You can't do this anymore even with radio, so your point is moot. Give us a VALID reason why a station would benefit by being louder that another?

kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes