Re: Survey on sound problems with Cisco DVR
Comedy
Enthusiast - Level 2
Lucky you are.. I had no problems with my Vizio when I had Directv The problem occurred with FIOS and the Cisco STB because there is no setting for PCM sound only. The default is auto so the TV doesn't handle the HD/SD 'handshake' too well. So it's combination of the STB box setting(or lack of) and the sound card in the TV. It's an intermittent problem. Vizio picture is superb though. Comedy
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
Please address the audio issues with Cisco HDMI since there are no hidden user adjustable settings for that hardware.

VOTE HERE.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/idb-p/ideas/tab/most-recent

Note here HDMI likes and uses LPCM. AC-3 is dolby digital. There needs te be a handshake and conversion, and here lies the problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

I suggested, and it has been brought to Verizon's attention is regards to the PCM, LPCM, and AC-3. And the Cisco not having the user adjustable hidden settings. They should be adjustable in the Settings under Audio, Auto, AC3, LPCM. Since they are not adjustable in a hidden menu with Cisco. But I believe the issues in HDMI is based on LPCM. I am not sure if this was posted as an idea for the Cisco hardware. But it is known that there is a hidden diagnostic menu on the Cisco, but no hidden user settings, such as found with the Motorola.

Add this Auto, LPCM, AC-3 setting to the visible Cisco user menu.

Interesting information about HDMI and LPCM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_pulse_code_mod​ulation

Interesting Info regarding AC3 and Dolby digital. Now it looks as if the conflict stands with the HDMI standard being LPCM, and some media standard being Dolby. How is the STB or TV supposed to handle that. I have heard some have used a fiber cable to resolve the issue.

Interesting info RE: Dolby AC3 and HDMI conflict. Handshake issues.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_AC-3

I will bring this up in the ideas section. It had been discussed previously, but now seems to have become a larger issue.

Just fix the img or HDMI firmware. If that can not solve the issue, than provide manual settings.

0 Likes
snjnova
Enthusiast - Level 3

There may actually be multiple problems. Some people have been able to resolve their problem by changing sound settings. Our problem persisted whether we used HDMI or analog outputs and others have reported similar circumstances. The commonality for many of us is that problem occurs ONLY on the box with the DVR - the non-DVR box is fine going to the same TV using the same connections and with the "problem" channel(s). And the problem exists not only with Verizon but with other cable providers using Scientific Atlanta (now Cisco) boxes.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@snjnova wrote:

There may actually be multiple problems. Some people have been able to resolve their problem by changing sound settings. Our problem persisted whether we used HDMI or analog outputs and others have reported similar circumstances. The commonality for many of us is that problem occurs ONLY on the box with the DVR - the non-DVR box is fine going to the same TV using the same connections and with the "problem" channel(s). And the problem exists not only with Verizon but with other cable providers using Scientific Atlanta (now Cisco) boxes.

Ok still go there and vote. I have added this to the bottom of the idea. Regardless of the issue. I will also point out the issue again. It has been a while since I had discussed it, and it was during 1.9 testing which was Motorola public trials to a good number of Motorola customers. Perhaps Cisco requires some more attention. But like I stated, I have been lucky and not had issues.

#1 Resolve sound issues with CIsco Hardware.

0 Likes
bryanste
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have frequent lack of sound on WETA-526 and WETAUK-474 through a Cisco STB. Interesting observation:  I've noticed the sound often cuts off at the exact same point in the opening sequence of Sherlock Holmes episodes. It's when Holmes is gazing out the window as the theme music plays. On the non-HD channel there's a click, so I wonder if the audio format changes at that point triggering a failure? This is a very annoying problem.

0 Likes
bryanste
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here's a workaround and another clue to the source problem:

Under Menu-Settings-Language-Audio Language, try changing this to "Spanish Preferred".  This restores audio on DVR recordings I've made that were otherwises missing sound content.

Something in the WETA/WETA-UK feed is at times triggering a problem on the Cisco STB.

Verizon/Cisco/WETA should be able to figure this out and fix it.

0 Likes
snjnova
Enthusiast - Level 3

@bryanste wrote:

We have frequent lack of sound on WETA-526 and WETAUK-474 through a Cisco STB. Interesting observation:  I've noticed the sound often cuts off at the exact same point in the opening sequence of Sherlock Holmes episodes. It's when Holmes is gazing out the window as the theme music plays. On the non-HD channel there's a click, so I wonder if the audio format changes at that point triggering a failure? This is a very annoying problem.

We noticed that on one recording - it seemed to "burp" after the intro and then the sound disappeared.

0 Likes
snjnova
Enthusiast - Level 3

@bryanste wrote:

Here's a workaround and another clue to the source problem:

Under Menu-Settings-Language-Audio Language, try changing this to "Spanish Preferred".  This restores audio on DVR recordings I've made that were otherwises missing sound content.

Something in the WETA/WETA-UK feed is at times triggering a problem on the Cisco STB.

Verizon/Cisco/WETA should be able to figure this out and fix it.

That's interesting. The support people kept telling us to be sure that it was set to English.

It's definitely a problem with the STB. We have a friend on Cox who has the same problem with WETA/UK. Her STB was made by Scientific Atlanta, which was purchased by Cisco in 2005 - so the Cisco boxes from Verizon are obviously re-labeled Scientific Atlanta - and no one seems to want to fix it.

We finally resolved our problem by getting them to swap our Cisco boxes for Motorola boxes and they have worked fine.

0 Likes
jimf233

I have the same problem on WETA channel 526 in northern VA. They have reset the box and provided me with a new box but the problem keeps recurring intermittently. In my case it seems to occur only on recorded material it could be on the live reception to as we do not use the set with the DVR often when we are not viewing a recording. We to have noticed the audio drop out early when viewing a Sherlock Holmes recording, but on most other shows the audio is out from the beginning. Verizon support finally suggested it was because of data rights protection on that station to prevent recording, but I called the station and they said they did not try to prevent recording in any way. They suggested it may be a SAP (Secondary Audio Program) setting problem. I have not been able to find SAP settings or change them.

We have another high def box in the house with out the DVR feature and it never has any problem with video or audio on this or any other channel.

The support people have heard of the problem but have not working solutions so go through the same litany of questions regarding cables, hdmi, and box resets without permanent  results. By the way I do not use HDMI to or from the DVR box. The problem is obviously within the box.

If anyone has any other ideas please let us know. I am about to go back to Cox Cable.

0 Likes
jimf233

I have been struggling with this exact same problem with the same channel, WETA, Channel 526 HD. I too have a CISCO HDR box and a Cisco non DDR standard box. We have tried box replacement,and box resets, without permanent results. I am now being passed around from tech support to customer service and back as Verizon personnel try who don't know how to respond pass me on. Most recently I read in this forum of a person who said the problem was fixed when they switched to a CISCO box. I called technical support to get a Cisco box replaced with Motorola. They said they couldn't do it and to call customer service, who said the same and sent me back to Tech Support. Finally I got someone to process and order for two Motorola boxes to replace the two Cisco boxes. They were promptly sent via UBS. Imagine my surprise when I opened the boxes and found they were Cisco boxes again. I call Customer Service who sent me back to Tech support who now tell me only Cisco Boxes work in my area, and that other FIOS areas use Motorola. I seriously doubt this store at least one other in this area apparently got a Motorola box, and also its hard to imagine that Verizon would not require their vendors to supply equipment compatible with a single standard. The next step is a technician visit next Tuesday.

Have others in northern VA experienced this problem and found a solution?

0 Likes