Re: Survey on sound problems with Cisco DVR
snjnova
Enthusiast - Level 3

@jimf233 wrote:

If anyone has any other ideas please let us know. I am about to go back to Cox Cable.

Threatening to go back may bring results. However, I should warn you that a friend has Cox and has similar problems with WETA UK. As near as I can determine, the problem is with certain broadcasters, specifically WETA HD & WETA UK in our area and the Cisco DVR box. And Cox has been using Scientific Atlanta boxes - which are now Cisco since SA was acquired by Cisco a few years ago.

The only way we got this resolved was to contact our county (Fairfax) cable regulatory office and file a complaint. That got our case escalated to someone who was able to get us Motorola boxes.

0 Likes
Re: Survey on sound problems with Cisco DVR-SOLVED!!!
jimf233

i finally got Verizon to send out a very capable technician and had the good luck that WETA UK was being received without audio on my Cisco DVR box when he was here . The video and sound were coming through on the non DVR cable box but only the video was being received on the DVR. He carefully checked out connections, signal strength, etc without finding a problem. He then disconnected the Cisco non DVR cable box and connected it where the DVR box had been and both audio and video were ok for that station and others. He finally agreed to replace my Cisco boxes with Motorola boxes and the problem was solved. This was a very experienced tech, and he had not seen the problem before so there may be a very small number of us having the problem. It would seem it is the  result of an interaction between some stations, including WETA and WETA UK in northern VA, and the hardware in all or some Cisco DVR boxes. If you are having the problem you will need to fight to get Motorola boxes for they do not want Verizon  to use them now  for whatever reason.

0 Likes
dan1231

We also live in No.VA., but Verizon has never installed FIOS in our building.  However, we do have Cox Cable and recently got dvrs, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC's.  We immediately began experiencing the types of problems described below.  We regularly experience a missing audio channel.  This appears on HD shows, OnDemand programs, and regularly occurs on particular commercials.  We regularly experience one commercial out of a string of commercials missing the main voice over channel, while playing the background sound channel.   While i have been writing this there was a series of 4 commercials, 1. Smart car; 2. IPhone 5; 3. Scrubbing Bubbles; 4. Amazon Kindle; 5. CheapOAir.  1. and 3. lost the main audio channel but the background sound effects and music sounded normal.  2., 4., and 5. sounded fine with both channels.

0 Likes
Re: Survey on sound problems with Cisco DVR-SOLVED!!!
epstewart
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had the same problem and reported it as the original poster in another thread. A week or so ago, sometime around Oct. 1, the problem with missing audio on WETA UK, ch. 474, and WETA HD, ch. 526, stopped happening. I don't know why. I haven't changed a thing. My Cisco DVR box seems to have the exact same software it has always had. Maybe WETA changed something in its digital signal origination. Maybe Verizon changed something in the way it packages the WETA signals. Anyway, the problem seems to be ancient history now.

0 Likes
cece491

Check this thread out.  People with the same issues.  It seems the audio on PBS 474 and 526 has been corrected -somehow(??): 

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Audio-sometimes-missing-on-favorite-channe...

Music Choice is, and has always been a problem for me from DAY 1 on the Cisco STB.  What a piece of junk this Cisco "equipment is!!  I NEVER had any issues with my old Motorola STB.  But  I moved and VZ switched it out with this Cisco JUNK.

I have had 5 or 6 technicians come out, replaced the Cisco STB twice and NOBODY can fix the Music Choice skipping problem.  Not even the "geniuses" they have working for them India.

I have tried every Setting:  Settings / Audio / Dynamic Range / (change to "NONE") ---  Nothing works.

I wish I had NEVER switched from Direct TV.  Also NEVER had any problems like this with them and their music stations are many more and far superior to FiOS.

Sorry, but just chalk it up to Verizon buying CRAP equipment (probably on the cheap) and passing off  on to their customers to save VERIZON $$$$.

If you ever do get your Music Choice issue fixed, please post.  Sorry I could not be of any help, other than venting my frustrations with this Cable Provider who is obviously way in over their heads.  They should have stuck to telephone service ONLY.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Still an issue?. Not sure if 1.91 img helped. Anyone still having problems with Cisco and audio? If so, thow in your vote to provide these settings.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/Sound-problems-with-Cisco-DVRs-STBs/idi-p...

0 Likes
epstewart
Enthusiast - Level 3

My particular problem disappeared just prior to the latest firmware update. It involved "dropped" audio on just two channels, 526 and 484, two parts of the suite of channels coming from WETA, a Washington DC PBS outlet. The audio simply stopped dropping on those two, and now I never switch on the Cisco box or try to play a recording only to find audio is absent. Since the "fix" did not coincide with a firmware update, something must have changed somewhere else, outside my house. So not all audio problems have like solutions ...

0 Likes
snjnova
Enthusiast - Level 3

Glad to hear that the Cisco (and Scientific Atlanta) problems have been resolved. We convinced them to give us Motorola boxes after filing a complaint with our county regulatory office and that resolved our problem. But I was worried that we'd get it back if we ever moved or our box(es) started acting up and we were given Cisco as replacements.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Thank you for any responses, or follow up on previous posts.

I wanted to see if people were still having issues. I Started with Motorola and went to Cisco to test when they started becoming more widely available, switching is not something that is normally done, so it is VERY restricted, and involves many issues. Cisco is also not supported in all areas. I have found that both vendors work equally well. HDMI on 1 - Samsung, 2 - Vizio's, and now 1 LOW COST Westinghouse, and I have never experienced audio issues. Plus 1 TiVo HD with CableCard and HDMI. Five flat panels total.

Again Best Regards To All Who Respond.

prisaz

0 Likes
ronozer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Amazing!  The spanish language change fixed the audio....

0 Likes