Swapping Tuners/Adjusting CC
ssetta
Contributor - Level 1

I just got FiOS TV installed today, and I have to say it really is great, minus a few missing channels that Comcast carries (ion HD and AMC HD), though hopefully FiOS will pick those up. I'm usually good at figuring things out, however, there are 2 things that I can't seem to figure out:

1) On Comcast, it was possible to swap between 2 tuners, which was especially good for recording 1 channel while watching another. Please tell me this is possible with FiOS.

2) I can access the closed-captioning much more easily (not having to go into the diagnostics screen like I did on Comcast). However, I am not able to adjust the settings for background, color, etc. like I was with Comcast. I'm assuming that in order to do that, you have to go into the diagnostics screen. However, I am not quite sure how to do that. Any help would be appreciated. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Swapping Tuners/Adjusting CC
Justin46
Legend

@spacedebris wrote:
2.  the closed captioning is not controlled by the verizon box. all it does is pass the signal through to the TV and allows the tv to do the control. so if your TV does not have the ability to adjust the CC options, then you wont be able to do so with verizon.

Spacedebris,

Your answer is incorrect for the HD boxes; I have the QIP6416 and it most definitely does control the CC.

On the remote, you can use the CC key (the * key) to control turning on and off CC and cycling through the various modes.

To set the characteristics of the CC you do need to get into the "hidden" menu on the HD STB:

1) With the TV and STB both turned on: on the HD STB hit Power ==> Select ==> Menu

2) Tab down to the Closed Caption entry and right tab to enable CC (if it is disabled).

3) Now you can go in and set the various characteristics, like font size, color, background color, etc).

4) When you are finished, hit the Power button on the STB to save the settings

5) Hit the Power button to turn the STB back on, and hopefully the CC is the way you want it.

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@ssetta wrote:

1) On Comcast, it was possible to swap between 2 tuners, which was especially good for recording 1 channel while watching another. Please tell me this is possible with FiOS.

If you want to swap between tuners tune to the first channel and then tune to the second channel (even if it is recording).  Then just use the LAST button to swap tuners.  If you want to return to the same pointon the first channel, you need to PAUSE before hitting LAST.

Don't know about the CC modifications you want to make as I don't use CC.

Hope that helps with your first issue.

Message Edited by Keyboards on 07-07-2009 07:26 PM
spacedebris
Master - Level 2
2.  the closed captioning is not controlled by the verizon box. all it does is pass the signal through to the TV and allows the tv to do the control. so if your TV does not have the ability to adjust the CC options, then you wont be able to do so with verizon.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@spacedebris wrote:

Spacedebris,

Your answer is incorrect for the HD boxes; I have the QIP6416 and it most definitely does control the CC.

On the remote, you can use the CC key (the * key) to control turning on and off CC and cycling through the various modes.

To set the characteristics of the CC you do need to get into the "hidden" menu on the HD STB:

1) With the TV and STB both turned on: on the HD STB hit Power ==> Select ==> Menu

2) Tab down to the Closed Caption entry and right tab to enable CC (if it is disabled).

3) Now you can go in and set the various characteristics, like font size, color, background color, etc).

4) When you are finished, hit the Power button on the STB to save the settings

5) Hit the Power button to turn the STB back on, and hopefully the CC is the way you want it.

Keller, TX 76248

blondie17
Enthusiast - Level 3
moved to a New Message thread
Message Edited by blondie on 07-20-2009 06:39 PM
0 Likes
fscales

"LAST" button not a true tuner swapper.  I wish there weren't so many answers stating that it is.

Just got Verizon FIOS this week (previously with Comcast).  Switching tuners DOES NOT work the way it worked with Comcast.  Sure I can record one channel and then hit the "LAST" button to watch another show.  However, as my wife demonstrated to me (and what everyone in this forum seems to be overlooking is...).  I will illustrate:

1. Record "True Blood" first (e.g. tuner #1)
  2. Press the "LAST" button to switch tuners (sort of) to watch some of "Big Brother"
  3. During a commercial break of "Big Brother", change the channel to watch some NFL football or whatever
  4. Now press "LAST" button to supposedly switch tuners which theoretically should land you on "True Blood".  It DOES NOT.
  5. You actually end up back at "Big Brother" because that was the "LAST" show you were watching (or more appropriately) should be called the "PREVIOUS" channel button.

The "LAST" button is simply a previous channel switcher.  If your previous channel happens to be on a different tuner because it is being recorded, then it will be forced to jump to the other tuner. 

Comcast had a "PREV" channel in addition to a "SWAP" tuner.  Where the "Swap" button would always take you back to the alternate tuner no matter how many times you channell surf on the other tuner.

My wife is not a happy camper with this "nuance" since one of the selling points of having a DVR is so that you can skip over commercials OR simply surf around for awhile and then go back to TUNER 1.  Unfortunately, while recording one show I am now forced to watch the second show with commercials included  if I want to maintain the toggle tuner capability of the "LAST" button -- ARGH!

I know someone will suggest that I could get around this by getting back to my recording in progress by navigating through the menu system by clicking on the "DVR" button and so on.  This example takes at least 3 clicks as opposed to 1.  Not an acceptable solution. 

I hope someone out there knows a clever or undocumented way around this limitation.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@fscales wrote:

"LAST" button not a true tuner swapper.  I wish there weren't so many answers stating that it is.

It is and it isn't.  You are correct that it more truly a last channel viewed.  However, if you are not recording (occupying one tuner) then it is a swap tuners - including buffering on each tuner.

Maybe not the way Comcast did it, but that is the way it works.  Never having had a Comcast DVR, it works exactly the way I would expect a LAST button to work (it isn't called SWAP TUNERS) - just the way it does on a TV.

0 Likes