Switched to Own Router, followed guide, no Guide or OnDemand
James1211
Enthusiast - Level 1

I followed this guide on switching to my own router.  I plugged an ethernet into LAN port of new router, to WAN port of Verizon router, rebooted everything and I'm still not getting any guide or on demand services. FiosOne tv box is showing no internet connection.

Additionally I called Verizon and had them disable coax.

How can I get this working?

0 Likes
Re: Switched to Own Router, followed guide, no Guide or OnDemand
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

When subscribing to FiOS television, a FiOS router is required for administrative tasks, updating guides and similar functions.

James1211
Enthusiast - Level 1

I understand that, which is why I have the G1100 still in play.  The G1100 is connected to the new router, just as the noted guide specified.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe, (and a CL can correct if I'm mistaken), that the coaxial cable from the ONT to the 1100 needs be connected. (I use a G3100 router, so the workaround doesn't apply here).

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Simply having a Verizon router in the network does not work. A VZ router needs to be the primary NAT device between the Internet and your local network, meaning, Ethernet from the ONT must go to VZ router WAN, and set top boxes connected to the LAN (Coax).

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Cang_Household wrote:

Simply having a Verizon router in the network does not work. A VZ router needs to be the primary NAT device between the Internet and your local network, meaning, Ethernet from the ONT must go to VZ router WAN, and set top boxes connected to the LAN (Coax).

Only the VMS box has to be connected to coax, the minis can go ethernet, coax or WiFi, but if you go WiFi, they have to be connected to the WiFi the 3100 provides as it has a hidden network they connect to. Also I believe the 3100 has to be connected to the coax network from the ONT too.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The guide was written in 2015; seven years ago.  It is invalid for the fios ONE set-top-boxes.  With these boxes, the Verizon router must be primary, as others have indicated.

The guide should probably be deleted, as it's no longer possible to easily use a non-Verizon router when using fios ONE boxes.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

The guide was written in 2015; seven years ago.  It is invalid for the fios ONE set-top-boxes.  With these boxes, the Verizon router must be primary, as others have indicated.

The guide should probably be deleted, as it's no longer possible to easily use a non-Verizon router when using fios ONE boxes.

I object. I know for a fact not everyone has the latest and greatest...

But I at the same time I agree that it should be updated to say that: Not vaild for FIOS One

w1232
Enthusiast - Level 2

DSL Reports has an extensive review of options to use your own router. Here's a link:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077