Switching Places of TV and Router
CantThinkOfName

Hello. I have FIOS TV, Internet, and phone service. I had a TV in room A and my router in room B. Then, we flipped rooms, and I moved the router to room A and the TV to room B. The router seems to be working fine using the cable that had previously serviced the TV, but the TV is having some trouble using the cable that had previously serviced the router. My Guide doesn't get any program description data, and the On-Demand menus fail with an error saying that there is a problem retrieving data.

In short, the TV doesn't seem to be getting all of the data it needs through the cable that used to service my router. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on how to fix this. I'm scheduling a visit from a technician, but I'd like to save the related charges, and thought I'd solicit some advice in advance. Thanks very much for your time.

0 Likes
Re: Switching Places of TV and Router
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
DO you have other set top boxes in the house?  If so do they retrieve the guides and menu's ok?  The cables feeding the tv and router...are they original coax, or were they installed new with the service?  If they are existing...how are the coax connections...are they pressure fit, or screw on.  Essentially your looking for a possible bad connection.
0 Likes
Re: Switching Places of TV and Router
chartle
Enthusiast - Level 3

I replied to a similar post a few days ago. 

My thought was the STB booted up first and the router booted up second.  The STB didn't get an IP on boot up and may have stopped trying.

My solution was to reboot the STB to see if it can get an IP from the router.  Any boxes not moved should still work because they kept their old IP's and would only worry about DHCP when their lease started to expire but the the moved STB will try to communicate with the router to as part of normal DHCP startup.

Edited: Just realized that this is the same poster who also posted in the Internet Forum.  So basically the same solution.

Message Edited by chartle on 02-19-2009 09:18 AM
0 Likes