The MOTO QIC-6416 DVR STB has PORTS. Why can't we USE them???
Doc
This and other model DVR STBs are DESIGNED WITH PORTS, to access Extended Storage media drives (and these 'DVR Extenders' are sold all over the place), either via USB or eSata. The 80GB capacity that the hard drive has, IS NOT ENOUGH for any type of long term video storage (especially in HD format). If per chance, you have to turn in your STB, then all your recordings that you've collected for months/years GO WITH IT, and you lose them! That is ridiculous! It's happened to me once already... never again. As long as they are raising THE RATES for H/W rentals in 2009, I want Verizon to turn these ports ON, as this is very frustrating!!! Stop raising prices on equipment that we can't even use in its full capacity. Let us use it as it was DESIGNED to be used, for cryin' out loud!
0 Likes
Re: The MOTO QIC-6416 DVR STB has PORTS. Why can't we USE them???
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
AFAIK no Motorola STB currently supports external storage via the ports on a 6416 or 7216.  Supposedly this is "in development" with a release of who knows when (and then only for the 7216 via E-SATA not USB).
MeatChicken1
Contributor - Level 2

Yes, only the E-SATA port will eventually be used for extra storage, The USB port is not capable of that.

The USB port's power is active now ... I use it to charge my cellphone 🙂

0 Likes
Doc

Eventually huh....? Well, I guess that's better than never! Also, it's the model qiP-6416 STB (not QI 'C'... I fat-fingered it last time), and it has a 160GB drive in it -NOT an 80GB. That was my old STB I had before.

* Is the USB port enabled by default? If not, then how did you enable it? At least I could use that port for SOMEthing (flash drive, or memory, or a USB flash card reader...). Here's the product information page from MOTO, but it says nothing about enabling ports or ANYthing, it's just specs: http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-EN/Business+Product+and+Services/TV+Video+Distribution/Customer+...

Here is the QIP-6416 spec sheet, which shows the back panel: http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Business/Products/TV%20Video%20Distribution/Set-tops/Hybrid%20QA...

It also has 2 IEEE1394 ports (firewire), and an 'optional' SATA port. Mine has all 4 ports, I just wish I knew how to turn them ON !!! It can't be a 'copyright issue' regarding movies or anything that they're worried about either. If you want the video off the HD all you have to do is extract the HD, copy it, decode/encode it, and put it back into the STB. Personally, I would never actually DO that, but it seems possible. All I want is the AVAILABLE capability to EXTEND MY STORAGE, and use a DVR Extension device (or 6)... 

* They also offer a DCH model now (which looks quite functional, but is still only 1080i, and has a 160GB hd): http://www.motorola.com/business/US-EN/DCH3416_US-EN.do?vgnextoid=6c2d9e3eeed46110VgnVCM1000008406b0... 

Thanks to everyone for your postings. Hope is a good thing.

Remember, in unity there is strength!

LTR<>RTL, Doc

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The USB ports are not enabled.  The only thing "on" is the power.  Won't work with any USB device because it is not enabled.

There is nothing you can do to enable any of the ports.  Verizon's (and Motorola's) firmware do not support them at this time.  All the connectors in the world do no good if they don't have firmware to support them - and they don't.

None of Verizon's STBs currently offer a hard drive bigger than 160 G (hint - the last 2 digits of the DVR model number is the # of gigabytes divided by 10). Even installing a larger hard drive would do no good since the frimware hard codes the maximum size at 160 G.  There is rumor of an STB with a 320 G hard drive, but that is just a rumor.

0 Likes
Re: The MOTO QIP-6416 DVR has PORTS. Why can't we USE them? Is firmware available yet?
Doc
That's great... so then, all you can do is CHARGE an iPod or cell phone via the USB port. The data ports are useless, and are only on there for decorative purposes then....? You can't USE any of them. That's idiotic. Well all I can say, is that they better make the firmware update(s) available SOON (via Ethernet / Web). This technology is getting OLD already. There are new lines of STBs out now, and they won't give us the firmware to enable the ports on the old ones yet. This makes NO SENSE. Why are all the ports even on there if they can't be used? It's insane.
0 Likes
Re: The MOTO QIP-6416 DVR has PORTS. Why can't we USE them? Is firmware available yet?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
Actually, I believe the 1394 ports work, but won't pass any DRM locked content.  Can't swear to that since I have never used it but IIRC I have seen posts that indicate this is the case.
0 Likes
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2

Hello everyone,

I am not here to comment on any rumors.  Rumors are what they are and I know as much about them as you guys do.  I am here however to post up some information direct from Motorola’s FAQ section on their website.  The site below answers SATA port on the box. 

http://tinyurl.com/5wj7zu

The next portion will answer questions about offloading DVR content.  Unfortunately I am unable to get the direct link for some reason, so I will just paste it.  You can locate it on the same page as the above link in the section labeled “users who have viewed this have also viewed” at the bottom(the answer id is 19213). 

How do I transfer my programs from my Motorola DVR to an external device like a computer or hard drive?

Question   How do I transfer my programs from my Motorola DVR to an external device like my computer or hard drive?       Answer   No. Currently you can't offload recorded content to any external device from a Motorola DVR, even though the data ports are there, the software doesn't support it yet. When the option becomes available through a software upgrade, it will be downloaded to DVR automatically by service providers/cable companies.

***EDIT*** In hindsight i probably should hev used tiny URL for that long link...so i did.  What i find interesting reading through that info about the SATA port is the statement about broadcasters.  I have always been told it is the way it is and that is it.  I think that's where the SATA rumor started. 

TS

Message Edited by TheSanchez on 12-12-2008 02:10 PM
Message Edited by TheSanchez on 12-12-2008 02:13 PM
0 Likes
speedo123
Contributor - Level 1

Hey TS:

Its pretty obvious that the biggest suggestion/complaint us customers have is the extremely limited recording capacity Verizon equipment supplies.  And it's the easiest to address!  So why isn't Verizon either doing something about this or at least telling us that it intends to.  {please keep your posts courteous} .  I've recently seen DVR quality, 1TB hard disks selling for under $100 on a quantity of just one.  In quantities of hundreds of thousands that Motorola would be buying them in for the equipment it's supplying to Verizon, it couldn't raise the price very much.  Why don't we have hard drive size options?  Makes us customers feel like Verizon just doesn't care about us.  Makes me yearn (can you believe!) for my upgraded DirecTV DVRs! (320hrs SD.)  I find myself spending much too much time culling recordings because my Verizon DVRs are always close to 100% full.

Come on Verizon, it's an easy fix.  Please FIX it soon!

Message Edited by KaLin on 12-13-2008 08:21 AM
0 Likes
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2

Well...i had a nice long post written up for ya but i got auto logged out and lost it.  Short and sweet version.  I have confirmation were working on it amongst some other features highly requested on these forums.  I actually found out product support and development actually trolls around here looking at suggestions.  Now just because we are working on it does not mean it is going to happen.  We may not find a suitable or cost effective solution for this problem and may have to wait for motorola to enable the ports. 

TS