Tiling, pixelation, sync problems.
theroperd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, all,

I am having problems with what I thought was intermittent tiling and pixelation, but now I think it is being generated by the STB.

Sharp LCD TV - New, with current firmware

STB - QIP6416P2

Router - Actiontec M1424-WR Rev D

Premium component cables from Omniprice, not using HDMI cable.

The problem - approximately every 30 minutes, the picture will lock up, with no audio. 20 seconds or so later, it will come back to life, with the audio being out of sync (later than the video). This will continue until I either press the pause button on the remote and then press play again, or it will sometimes re-sync on its own, with moderate tiling and pixelation.

I reset the STB using both the In Home Agent from the PC, and later, from the STB itself.

To further isolate the problem, I did a complete power reset on both the STB and my TV, but at different times. The STB at 15 minutes before the hour, and the TV at the top of the hour.

This was done yesterday. Now, the sync problem is occurring at about 18 & 48 minutes past the hour.

If I view a program recorded after I did the power resets, there is not always a sync problem, but there is a "blip" or "skip" at the expected time intervals relative to the recorded program..

Unlike some of the others that have experienced this problem, my HD VOD viewing is excellent, with no tiling or pixelation problems at all.

I have had the current STB about one month, having upgraded from SD to HD at that time.

Using the STB diagnostics, I have SNR of 37, which I understand should be more than adequate for HD viewing.

So, should I request a replacement STB, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any input!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Tiling, pixelation, sync problems.
theroperd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, here goes.

I ordered the replacement STB on the 12th. Received it yesterday afternoon, and set it up. So far, no problems at all. If all is still going well by Monday, I will mark this post as solved.

Hopefully, if I include a note when I return the STB, it will be checked out before being shipped to someone else! This is the only issue I have had with any of the FiOS services, be it TV, Internet, or phone. I have had FiOS since June of 2006, and other than this, not a hiccup of any kind at all!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

It could be the stb, but the timing is a little odd. My first reaction would be to think you probably have a signaling issue at the ONT. Do you have any other DVR's in the house? If so can you swap them to see if the problem follows the box or is in the same location?

I would try to reboot the ONT myself. But Verizon has stated that they wish customers would not do that without calling first. There may be some logs that they can retrieve before a reboot.

But the fact that it happens at specific intervals suggests an ONT issue rather than a box. Although if you want to try swapping out the box, that is definately an option.

0 Likes
theroperd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks,spacedebris,

I had thought about rebooting the ONT as well.

I began to realize the timing interval after I reset the STB using the In Home Agent application. Everything seemed to be working great for about an hour or so, and then began again. I did a power reset for the STB and TV at different times to make sure I didn't have an issue with the TV, and it is following (roughly) the STB power reset.

I will contact Verizon next and see if it is ok to reboot the ONT.

0 Likes
theroperd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Looks as if I will either have to wait to use the Live Chat, or wait on hold for awhile, doncha know?:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, however Verizon Live Chat is currently unavailable. We are either experiencing high customer volume or the center is closed for the day. Our Live Chat hours of operation are 7 Days a week: 9:00 AM - 10:00 PM ET."

0 Likes
theroperd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Surprise! I only had to wait on hold a short time, maybe 10 minutes or so. The tech support agent did a high level reset of the box at the 30 minute mark (oops! lost my favorites). I will see if that did any good. If not, I expect to have the issue return on the 30 minute and hour mark.

The Tech Support agent told me I could reset the ONT with no problem if I wish to.

OOB S/N Ratio was 25dB.

The SNR=37 was the In Band Signaling figure.

0 Likes
donutz28
Enthusiast - Level 3

If using HDMI cable,  switch to component cables and see if problem goes away.  

Have them send you a replacement DVR.

And, what is a power reset of the TV?

0 Likes
theroperd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, Donutz28,

I attempted to use the HDMI cable when I first received the HD DVR, but got no video or audio. I didn't pursue it any further, due to the many complaints I have seen on the various forums. The component cables from OmniPrice give my a great picture, etc.

Power reset of TV - turned off and "pulled the plug".

After the Help Desk Tech did his high level reset @ 11:28 am, the sync issue returned @ 11:58, 12:28, etc. It is a "sliding" 30 minute window between sync problems, since it is now occurring @ 7 minutes & 37 minutes past the hour.

I did indeed order a replacement HD DVR the same afternoon that I talked to Tech Support.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
theroperd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, here goes.

I ordered the replacement STB on the 12th. Received it yesterday afternoon, and set it up. So far, no problems at all. If all is still going well by Monday, I will mark this post as solved.

Hopefully, if I include a note when I return the STB, it will be checked out before being shipped to someone else! This is the only issue I have had with any of the FiOS services, be it TV, Internet, or phone. I have had FiOS since June of 2006, and other than this, not a hiccup of any kind at all!

0 Likes
my9cats
Enthusiast - Level 2

I noticed this was posted in July 2010.

Since the problem was 'solved' have you had any recurrences?

I've been plagued with audio/video synch issues for at least a year now.

The only way I've been able to correct it is by turning the TV off and on.

Since I have to do this at least a couple of times an hour it is becoming annoying.

Would appreciate any input or advise.

Thank you...

0 Likes