Re: transfering DVR recordings
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Absolutely not.

And you can not move an external drive between DVRs.
And Quantum does not support external drives.

The ONLY thing you can transfer to a new DVR is settings and series configurations.

JKCOOL
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was in the same situation.  I upgraded and was going to loose all the recent recordings. (BTW- It is true that Verizon cannot move the recordings because of copyright law.  Bogus.)  I did continue watching the rest on my recorded DVR (legacy System) and continued to record the new stuff on the newer DVR. If your older one is deactived, they can reactive it.  Just need to reach the right person.  They (Verizon Technical support) will tell you it cannot be reactived, everthing is lost.  THAT IS NOT A TRUE STATEMENT. It can be reactived so you can finish watching your recorded programming.  Plus the tech will say you need to speak with billing to have it reactived.  No. No. No.  They can reactivate it. Plus it is too bad they lied to you about your current recorded content.  South Park did get it right about cable companies. This is the only thing that made me feel better.

As for actually copying the recorded programming they only way I thought it could be done was to purchase a HDMI Video capture card for my computer and play the DVR recordings to the computer then burn it to DVD.  This would be way too much trouble and cost.  Just buy the childrens programs from Amazon. I bet they are at a reasonable price.

Thanks,

Bruce

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I assume you are talking about upgrading to Quantum.

if so, there is a technical issue if you try and keep both Quantum and old style STBs on the network at the smae time.
That being said, you can continue to watch programs on the old DVR before you return it.

Just disconnect it from cable and connect to an alternate input on your TV.

Keep in mind that you have 30 days to return or get billed.

And if the old box loses power, you won't be able to watch the content on it anymore.

0 Likes
CCarrie
Rob, I just got my new quantum equip today. I thought there was a way to access the old Dvr content by plugging into an extra cable into separate input on TV. Ay ideas? Would be ok if I could just access the list of recordings so I could make a list of what needs to be found.
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes. Read my previous post.

It explains how to watch what is on your old DVR.

0 Likes
CCarrie
Yes I see that now. But I had already unplugged the old Dvr. I guess I'm just out of luck. Will be nice when they have a way to save Dvr recordings in a cloud or by way of memory stick.
0 Likes
rodneyxiii

Someone may have answered this but that is not true according to the rep I spoke with. You can save series schedules to the cloud but not the content. It **bleep** me off because I was also told that I could back up my recordings to view after I upgrade to the new DVR package.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What are you saying is not true?

0 Likes
MrDVR
Enthusiast - Level 1

Comcast Xfinity customer has this luxury.  Think this scenario:  you have the standard DVR from Verizon and that new Quantum box comes out or the one with a voice remote. In either case, they switch out your DVR for the new one.  If you were a Comcast customer, your recordings would transfer to the new hardware.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MrDVR wrote:

Comcast Xfinity customer has this luxury.  Think this scenario:  you have the standard DVR from Verizon and that new Quantum box comes out or the one with a voice remote. In either case, they switch out your DVR for the new one.  If you were a Comcast customer, your recordings would transfer to the new hardware.

There are pros and cons with both FiOS and Xfinity.