Re: Trouble cycling through TV input with FiOS remote
bob4281
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you want to change the input (ie HDM1 2) press the input button until the input you want is selected.  The TV will then switch to that input.

0 Likes
joshlsmith

I read through this after an internet search (Why I'm reviving the thread), tried everything and nothing works. Repetively pressing input just goes in and out of the input menu. I'm using the same remote as OP on a dinosaur of a Dynex Model: DX-L26-10A TV.

If anybody has any other thoughs, or knows a solution it would be appreciated. Tired of having to get up and blindly fussing with the side buttons just to switch the input.

0 Likes
irockthis

I'm having the same issue... basically the remote is properly set up, i can toggle though the a/v tv inputs but I can't initiate a click on them.  When I click the small ok button at the bottom right it shows me the fios sub menu similar to when you click the main OK button.  Any suggestions?

0 Likes
toozie21

I've tried everything and tried again tonight the steps that Hubrisnxs spelled out and still no dice.  It is pretty frustrating, but I have resigned myself to the fact that there is probably nothing I can do about it...

0 Likes
dadsfavor8
Enthusiast - Level 1

Iam having this same issue...all the buttons seem to work so far EXCEPT the AV botton. When i hold it down like you suggested all it does it pop up the menu and shut off and pop up and shut off...over and over. 

0 Likes
DUDEinHOLLISTON

I can't believe these posts go back to 2012 and there are no fixes yet....

Let me revive the same thread with the same problem:

I purchased the WalMart "doorbuster" TV this year (2014)- 55" for $218! Not bad. Only after installing the TV and sitting down to watch my Apple TV did I notice the Verizon Remote (I think P265) does not cycle through the inputs. You push the AV button and the menu comes up.  When you push it again, you exit the menu.  If you push it and the menu comes up and you use the arrow keys, nothing happens. There is no "TV" button on the remote to activate control of TV functions for the arrow keys.

On my old Insignia TV with the Insignia remote I had an input button. You could push it, call up the input menu.  If you push input again, the bar scrolls down sequentially. You could also use the arrow/navigation keys to go up or down, then push OK. In addition, there were other keys at the top that would take you to certain inputs (VIDEO, HDMI, etc...)  Now, on that TV when you used my FIOS remote and pushed AV you would call up the input menu. Then, you push the AV button again and the bar scrolls down sequentially. You push OK to select your input. So you could do everything with the FIOS remote.

On the Element TV with the Element remote if you push INPUT the menu comes up. If you push INPUT again, you exit the menu.  That function is mirrored with the Fios remote (two pushes of INPUT takes you in and then out of the INPUT menu.)  The problem is once the INPUT menu is up you cannot make the selection change. No keys on the remote will change the input choice. I have tried  the solutions previously listed in this posting, they don't work. Somehow you need to create a special key or keys on the FIOS remote that mirrors the UP and/or DOWN keys and POSSIBLY a separate special key to mirror OK.  If anyone knows how to do that, I'd appreciate your......wait for it.....INPUT.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon remote is "universal" for simplistic options only.

I have similar results with my Samsung TV.

So you can either keep multiple remotes on hand if you need ancillary functions on the TV or buy something like a Harmoy remote that can truly be universal.

0 Likes
dgaldi

I have the same issue.  I have Googled this to death, and just had a Verizon technician here, who confirmed what I had learned through the internet and trial and error:

I have two TVs.  For TV #1,  after I program the FIOS remote, I can hit the A/V (input) button and the input menu pops up and I can cycle through the inputs by continuing to hit the A/V button.   Hitting the up and down arrows on the FIOS remote DOES NOT work.   For TV #2, after programming the remote, and using the "Fix Key" option, I can get to the point that pressing the A/V button brings up the menu of inputs, but there is no way to scroll... even if I repeatedly press the A/V button.   The only way to scroll is to pick up the TV remote and scroll with the up/down arrows.  Then I can click OK with the FIOS remote.  Obviously that is not my recommendation.  If your TV is like my TV #2, you are stuck using the TV remote whenever you want to switch inputs.  

When I asked the FIOS technician about this, he said, "Basically, we focus on getting volume, power, and mute working on the FIOS remote.  The A/V button is gravy... we don't guarantee that."  If this is true, Verizon should update the programming instructions on their remote, because no where does it say, "Warning:  You may spend the next two hours of your life trying to get the A/V button programmed, only to find out it is not possible for your TV."  On the contrary, they contend the "fix key" button will resolve the issue.  

I saw one post that said if you used the old 4-device FIOS remote and pressed the "TV" button, that would allow the FIOS remote to scroll through the input devices using the up/down arrows.  I have one of those old remotes and tried that and it doesn't work.  The FIOS technician laughed at the prospect.

BOTTOM LINE:  If you can get your remote programmed (using the instructions) to the point that you can get the Input menu to pop up, there appear to be two possible outcomes:

1.  You can use the A/V (input) button repeatedly to cycle through the inputs.  Consider yourself lucky and don't waste your time trying to used the arrow buttons instead of repeatedly hitting A'V.

2.  You can get the Input menu to pop up using the A/V button, but when you press A/V again, nothing happens.   In this case, it looks like you are screwed.  You are going to be stuck using your TV remote to change inputs.

0 Likes
CarlL1

Same issue for me: I can cycle through the inputs but not "click" on a particular source. And the input menu sticks around. 

BUT in playing around I realized that once I select a particular input all I really needed was to dismiss the menu. The solution is to hit either volume up/down or mute, which does the trick. 

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes