Turn off TV and SD box with one button?
CaliL

My TV's IR sensor is busted so I have no remote capabilities to control the TV.  I am looking for a way to turn off the TV along with my SD box at the same time.  Is this possible?  

With my past service (cable) I was able to achieve this by plugging my TV's power into the cable box.  Once I powered off the cable box, my TV shut off.  Basically it killed the power to the TV.

I am looking for a way to do this with my Verizon SD box.

I have plugged my TV into the SD box, tried powering off the SD box, but the TV remains on.  Is there anything I'm missing?  I've gone through the SD box settings menu and cannot find an option.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Turn off TV and SD box with one button?
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

You have to go to Menu, settings, set top box, secondary outlet. You can change it from always on to off when box is off. Simply giving the TV power though wont necessarily turn it on. You would still need to press the power button on the front of the TV.

0 Likes
BDSou812
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is what worked for me using the RC144 5302 / 00B Remote! Hope it helps!

1. Press and hold the STB key.
  2. While holding the STB key, press OK.
  3. Release both keys. The device Keys will blink twice.
  4. Press 9-7-7. The STB key will blink twice.
  5. One after the other, press each device Key you want the Power Key to control in the order you want them to turn on or off.
  6. Press OK when done. The STB key will blink 3 times to indicate success in programming!
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

No they are saying the IR sensor on the TV doesn't work. The programming steps you put in there is to program the remote when power is pressed to send two power commands out of the remote. One goes to the TV and one to his Verizon box. If his IR sensor is broken, that command will not control his TV. He was hoping to have a setting in the box to send a power command through the cabling to turn off the TV or a way to just kill power to the TV when the box is turned off. I appreciate your willingness to help and those steps for programming the remote that way are perfect, just not applicable in his situation.

0 Likes
CaliL

Anthony - Your method worked for me and was exactly what I was looking for, thank you for your help.  Not sure how I missed that setting previously but i digress...

Now if we can only get a sleep timer function on the box I'd be all set 🙂

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Glad to hear that your question was solved. Please make sure to mark this post as being resolved.

Unfortunately there is no sleep timer setting in the boxes yet. It is a great suggestion though. This would be a perfect candidate for the Verizon Idea Exchange. Please search on the idea exchange and cast your vote. There may be another member who made the same suggestion. If not, please add a new idea so your fellow community members can comment and vote on your suggestion. http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-Idea-Exchange/ct-p/ideaexchange . The Verizon Idea Exchange is there for you to submit your ideas and suggestions to Verizon so that we can consider them as we innovate our

0 Likes
Bufub

This is exactly what I want to do with my new FIOS setup with CISCO HD DVR, but I received a remote with two power buttons (RC2655001).  Is there a procedure that will allow me to hit just one power button for both DVR and TV?

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

The step by step on how to turn both TV and box on with the power button can be found here...

https://www22.verizon.com/ForYourHome/VZRepair/vziha/Service.aspx?ihaweb=WebRemoteSetup

0 Likes