Tv issues or is it Verizon issues?
virginia
I have been having a problem with my fios.  Everytime I change the channel my picture is their and then it fades out like it is searching and then it comes back on.  This didn't use to be an issue until about 3 months ago.  Why is this happening and what can be done about it?  It's very frustrating and annoying.  It makes me want to cancel my verizon fios.  Is their a solution and why has it just started when it was fine with this same t.v. before.  I also have an issue with the Hm cable and what are you doing about this issue?  When you change some of your programs the hm cable will be needed, what is the solution for this?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Tv issues or is it Verizon issues?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The difference that the tech is talking about is the resolution. right now, Verizon only broadcasts in 1080i, which can be handled by HDMI or Component cables. However, in the future when Verizon starts broadcasting in 1080p, in order to get that resolution, you will need the HDMI cable. But for the near future, either cable is sufficient

BTW. even when Verizon starts in the 1080p. the component cables will still work fine, you just wont get the highest resolution possible. you will get the next best thing and it wont hurt anything, HDMI will only be needed for the most advanced signal but for now, it doesnt matter

Message Edited by spacedebris on 08-10-2009 02:08 PM

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

@virginia wrote:
I have been having a problem with my fios.  Everytime I change the channel my picture is their and then it fades out like it is searching and then it comes back on.  This didn't use to be an issue until about 3 months ago.  Why is this happening and what can be done about it?  It's very frustrating and annoying.  It makes me want to cancel my verizon fios.  Is their a solution and why has it just started when it was fine with this same t.v. before.  I also have an issue with the Hm cable and what are you doing about this issue?  When you change some of your programs the hm cable will be needed, what is the solution for this?

Several questions:

(1) On your first problem, it sounds like a renegotiation of the HDMI handshake.  That should occur (and is quite NORMAL) whenever you change from an HD to and SD station (or vice versa).  If you do not want to send the native resolution of the SD programming to your TV, then you have to go to Settings>System Settings>Video>SD Override and set it to "OFF".  This will have yoru SD cahnnels upconverted to HD by your box and you should not have teh HDMI handshake renegotiation problem.  If on the other hand the problem occurs EVERY TIME you change a channel, even if it is staying SD (or HD) then this is a different problem and you'd need to describe it more thoroughly.

(2) I have no clue what you are trying to say in the second question (bold above).  What is an hm cable?  Please provide a more detailed description.

0 Likes
virginia

I also have an issue with the Hdmi cable and what are you doing about this issue?  When you change some of your programs the hdmi cable will be needed, what is the solution for this?  Right now I am having the issue with this cable and have had to go to composition line in.  Will their be a solution and when?                                                         

It's the hdmi cable

0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3
I still cannot figure what the heck you're trying to say.  What "issue" with the HDMI cable are you talking about?  When WHO changes WHAT with WHICH programs?

@virginia wrote:

I also have an issue with the Hdmi cable and what are you doing about this issue?  When you change some of your programs the hdmi cable will be needed, what is the solution for this?  Right now I am having the issue with this cable and have had to go to composition line in.  Will their be a solution and when?                                                         

It's the hdmi cable

0 Likes
virginia
The HMDI cable is the one that goes from your receiver box to your TV set.  The cables average cost is $ 79.00.  I was having trouble getting a signal to one of my HDTV's.  The Tech guy told me to disconnect the cable and try the 3 prong cables that are red, blue and green.  Put them into the Comp 1 out put from box to the comp 1 input on my TV, the signal returned and I asked if my TV would still work in HD and he said yes.  I said will this affect any of my programs?  He said no not right now, but in the future when new programs are installed it would.  So why do you need this HDMI cable now and what is it's function and what is the difference be HDMI cable and The comp ! input/output wiring?
0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

I strongly suggest that you do not need to pay anywhere near $79 for an HDMI cable.

6-ft for $0.11 HERE.

10-ft for $1.23 HERE.

Not sure what you are talking about (or your tech) but the picture via component is the same resolution as the picture via HDMI (1080i).  Whether or not YOU PERSONALLY like it better or worse is up to you, of course.  Perhaps someday in the future they will provide 1080p content which can only be passed via HDMI, in which case the component feed would potentially be slightly worse at 1080i, but I haven't heard of any such plan, since it would eat up a lot of bandwidth.

And the apparent answer to your question about "are they doing anything about it" is "Yes", although we cannot really tell, since HDMI handshake issues have appeared on these boards frequently, and it appears that the Verizon folks who post here acknowledge that there is a lingering problem, but there is no promised date to having ALL HDMI issues magically go away.

It's a pretty new technology, and lots of manufacturers have been trying to implement it, and there are many cases where two components from different manufacturers do not work well together, so you have to expect growing pains (at least I sure do).

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The difference that the tech is talking about is the resolution. right now, Verizon only broadcasts in 1080i, which can be handled by HDMI or Component cables. However, in the future when Verizon starts broadcasting in 1080p, in order to get that resolution, you will need the HDMI cable. But for the near future, either cable is sufficient

BTW. even when Verizon starts in the 1080p. the component cables will still work fine, you just wont get the highest resolution possible. you will get the next best thing and it wont hurt anything, HDMI will only be needed for the most advanced signal but for now, it doesnt matter

Message Edited by spacedebris on 08-10-2009 02:08 PM
0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

@spacedebris wrote:

... in the future when Verizon starts broadcasting in 1080p, ...

Does anybody believe that this is imminent?  I sure don't.

0 Likes