TV on PC
Philips1

I have FIOS tv, internet, and voice.  I have 4 set top boxes.  2 HD and 2 regular.  I have Media Manager. 

In my home office I do not have TV wiring.  My PC sits right next to my router.

I am using a large screen HD TV as my computer monitor.  Running Windows 7.

What would I need to watch TV on my PC?

Would I be able to change channels right from my PC, rather than using a remote connected to a set top box?

Would I be able to view both regular and HD channels on my PC?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: TV on PC
mobyric1
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you want to watch Verizon tv you gotta have a set-top box to de-scramble the signal. If there is no coax in the room expect to be billed for it to be professionally installed (unless you run it yourself).  Most (not all) Verizon routers connect to the ont via a coax line, if yours does that line can also be used for tv. All that is needed is a splitter but this should be done by a tech with a meter to insure there is adequate rf  signal for a set-top box at the outlet.

Most networks have websites where you can stream episodes of some shows on your computer, not the same I know but it's free. Also your hdtv has a digital tuner built in so rabbit ears will get you local stations, including local hd.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mobyric1
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you want to watch Verizon tv you gotta have a set-top box to de-scramble the signal. If there is no coax in the room expect to be billed for it to be professionally installed (unless you run it yourself).  Most (not all) Verizon routers connect to the ont via a coax line, if yours does that line can also be used for tv. All that is needed is a splitter but this should be done by a tech with a meter to insure there is adequate rf  signal for a set-top box at the outlet.

Most networks have websites where you can stream episodes of some shows on your computer, not the same I know but it's free. Also your hdtv has a digital tuner built in so rabbit ears will get you local stations, including local hd.

0 Likes
Philips1

Thanks for the info.  I never even realized that I had the possibility of just watching free local TV just using the HDTV set.

0 Likes