TV pixellation
RF75

Hope VZ is not making FiOS TV more cable-like. One of the FiOS benefits is with all the bandwidth they have to burn there was relatively less [re]compression than typical on coax systems. Lately I notice blocking and pixellation more than in the past, especially the odd one where a small title on a title scroll starts out quite blocky before resolving to its true resolution. I know it's not just one tv or set top because I see it on all my set tops, Tivo, and cablecard tuner HTPC. Kinda puts the blame at the source.

We know FiOS technically has no reason to produce such artifacts, and that VZ business decisions are based on their perception that they have lots of room to squeeze us due to high satisfaction ratings. Or, they have lots of room to lose satisfaction and still retain customers.

Maybe someone decided to not spend so many bits on TV, or a revision to recompression is being tried to see if anyone notices.

We notice. Verizon, please don't make FiOS TV as crappy as cable. At least here, you cost more than cable.  Make it worth it.

0 Likes