TV quality frm coax output
rek4
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a 55 inch Samsung  Smart HDTV connected via HDMI from FIOS  STB-QIP7232P2  output that is my primary TV that I use with FIOS input / Antenna input/ and streaming internet video input.

I sometimes use the coax output from ( STB-QIP7232P2)  to watch FIOS news on small TV if I am watching Baseball streaming from the internet on the 55 inch TV.

My problem is poor quality of video on FIOS coax out,  noise/ dots looks like signal interference on small TV. My old outdated STB produced a very good TV signal on the coax out on same set up.

My question is that normal for that STB, or can it be fixed?

REK

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: TV quality frm coax output
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could just be a bad box but if you use component cables it will give you a HD picture 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can't really be fixed. Coax output from STB is SD. SD on a HDTV will look terrible due to the fact that SD 480i fitting into a 1080i(or higher).

On a SDTV it will look ok, but on HD it will not. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What was your previous STB?

The 7232 is a rather old STB as well.

If may be the setup given that it is a HD STB. And might be configured for HD performance.
Have you tried changing STB setting for more SD like output?

I assume you have no issues with HD output to HD tv?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

One other thing you can try is using component wires from 7232 to small tv.  I’m just assuming the small tv is an HD set. They are the wires that will be green, blue, red for video and red/white for sound. 

There is also composites which are yellow for video and red/white for sound. Most TVs SD or HD will have either one of those inputs. 

0 Likes
rek4
Enthusiast - Level 2

it is a digital HDTV and I expect lower video resolution/sharpness but I get what looks like injected noise and interference. My old set top box ( original I got 10yrs ago QIP 7216)  put out a good video picture without the noise and what looks something like adjacent signal interference. I have antenna hooked up to the set and the local channels come in great.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could just be a bad box but if you use component cables it will give you a HD picture 

rek4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, This is a second replacement STB, the first one failed after a few days but it had the same  type of degraded video on the coax output so I assume it is normal for this STB. The DVMI output to the 55 inch HDTV is great, no complaint.  I think I will try a HDMI splitter to get clean video to the small HDTV set; that should work.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

As mentioned, if small TV has HDMI, does it have component as well?

That would be a better connection.

rek4
Enthusiast - Level 2

Small Tv does have component inputs.

Mystery I was trying to solve was what is causing interference to/with coax out video.

Thanks, I can go around the problem if component out is ( HD or SD Video ? ) clean, I haven't checked that but HDMI is great. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, component out will be in HD