TV Shows extending past time slot
bdeandel

I am seeing this happen more and more and I am constantly seeing shows I have identified to record getting flagged with a record conflict.  This scenario appears to be happening more and more.  Is it a Verizon Guide problem or a ploy by the networks to cause these recording conflicts and thus keep you from recording a competing show.  This is the scenario....show A is in the 9pm slot and show B is also in the 9pm slot and both set to record....show C and D are in the 10pm time slot and are both set to record.  If one or both of the 9pm shows has a quide listing of 9pm to 10:01pm it will cause one or both of the 10pm shows to not record.  Is this a guide problem or network TV problem.  If a network problem, Verizon should allow you limit the recording to the time slot OR allow you to tell a recording to stop early thus allowing all recordings to record correctly.  Now I have to be aware that this is going to happen and keep an eye on the clock and manually force the recordings to happen by either manually stopping the long running recordings or to manually trigger the recording of the shows that had the conflict...and of course if I am not home at the time I totally miss my opportunity and have to deal with the shows not getting recorded.  I have looked thru all the settings and don't see any that would help this problem.  Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: TV Shows extending past time slot
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its of course a nasty programming trend.  OFten some shows start early or end late, If you have a bunch of programs set to record that are on different channels you will have conflicts.

For the major channels I haven't seen to much problem with the actual Verizon guide.  Remember they fairly recently switched from FYI (I company getting lots of compaints for its guide info) to Tribune Media Services (the industry leader).

0 Likes
bdeandel

I am seeing this more and more on the major networks....just about any night you can find one that will exceed the normal time slot by a minute....sometimes 2 but that is rare...just enough to mess up the DVR

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Lost, e.g., used to run 3 or more minutes late.  Lots of Primetime shows do this.  And yes its a pain.  The GUIDE has been accurate for me on the major network programs.  Recording the extra minutes.  But as said it will mean occasional conflicts, even though its just a couple minutes overlap.

0 Likes
scorp081
Enthusiast - Level 1

Nearly every single show our FiOS DVR records isn't complete, and this is crossing both major and cable networks.

The FiOS STB guide and our Xbox One guide (maybe they have the same data source) both agree for example a show will run 9PM-10PM. When you watch the recording it has the effect of the DVR seems have started recording 1 minute early so you get the very end of the show before it and then stops recording 1 minute early so you miss the very ending of the show. It is beyond frustrating and I'm about ready to throw it out and get a Tivo again.

I admit I nearly never watch live TV so it could just be every single channel we happen to record shows from have started shifting stat/end times a minute, but aren't publishing it properly to reflect in the guides.

0 Likes
hallrk
Contributor - Level 2

I set almost everything to run one minute late and usually 5 minutes on regular TV shows. For sports I do an hour later than the end time.

0 Likes