upgrading TVs
nodnol1

I upgraded my TV from analog to digital .... do I have to upgrade the box?

0 Likes
Re: upgrading TVs
tns
Master - Level 2

No but,

Is the new TV HD?  Do you Have HD stb?.  You may want to switch the connection to HDMI.  Component is als supported for HD and some SD, but HDMI for HD is preferred.

0 Likes
mobyric1
Enthusiast - Level 3

No...it can be confusing though trying to get the digital tv on channel 3 since it can receive analog channel 03 AND multiple digital channels 3 ( 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 etc.)  Oddly, you still need to be on analog channel 03 since your stb is converting the digital cable signal.  

If the t.v. is HD you can only view HD quality through the hdmi or component (red green blue) inputs.  If your set-top box does not have these outputs it is a standard def model. You may WANT to upgrade to an hd stb if high definition is important to you.

0 Likes
DaveD2

I am getting an HDTV and I have an HDMI cable with an HD STB

My problem is that I want to move from one room to another but the cable wire doesn't stretch across the hall.

So here are some questions:

1: Do I need any special "Fios" wires or cables? The cable that I am using is a coaxil cable and it came from the old cable company so how is that Fios? Did the technician just give the lower cable connection since I did not have an HDTV at the time? Is there an HD Fios cable that I don't have?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you talking coax between the wall and the STB or between the STB and the TV?

If you are talking about the wall to STB, this is normal.   FiOS distributes the TV signal to the STB's over the existing Coax infrastructure in your home.  You can move this around as needed -- note however that if you plan to use a different coax output in a different room, you need to make sure it's still connected to the rest of the house coax wiring.

If you're talking between the STB and the TV, then you will want t replace this with an HDMI cable.   The FiOS STB will output coax (and for SD TV's this was just fine) and as such many installers would just use that instead of changing out the connection.  For many people this resulted in the new box operating just like their old cable box.   However, with an HD TV, youl will want to stop using the coax from the STB to the TV and use the HD capable interfaces -- either HDMI cable or RGB component.

These cables from the box to the the TV are nothing special -- just regular HDMI or high quality analog cables.

0 Likes
DaveD2

For me it's wall/outside to a splitter...

All I wanted to know was does the Fios transmit over standard coaxial cables and how much distortion would happen if I went from splitter to cable to splitter in order to extend the length to get to the other room

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The signal between the wall and the STB is all digital.  There is no distrortion -- you either get the picture or you don't.  The introduction of an additional splitter would drop the signal strength by around -3db.  Within a typical home installation, with reasonable length cable runs, this will have no impact.  My longest run in my house is probably about 300ft with about -12db of splitter introduced loss and the STB at the end of the line still has plenty of signal.

0 Likes