Using Fios tv with my own router
Gj22

Hi everyone! Sorry for bringing up a already asked and discussed question.

I’m moving into a property that just had a Fios connection installed…never used by anyone. I have my own router (Unifi Dream Machine) and wanted Fios internet and tv. How would Fios tv work on a setup that has never had a Fios router/modem unit installed/used. 

I know some have had the experience where they have rented routers and then switched…I don’t know if my situation is “unique” but I cant wrap my head around it.

Thank you in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using Fios tv with my own router
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Gj22 wrote:

I’m moving into a property that just had a Fios connection installed…never used by anyone. I have my own router (Unifi Dream Machine) and wanted Fios internet and tv. How would Fios tv work on a setup that has never had a Fios router/modem unit installed/used. 

I know some have had the experience where they have rented routers and then switched…I don’t know if my situation is “unique” but I cant wrap my head around it.

Thank you in advance!

If you do a search, you'll find a LOT of threads on almost exactly the topic you need. Basically in order to get boxes authorized, you HAVE to have a Verizon router in the system as the primary. Also you need the Verizon router for firmware updates. There are workarounds for everything else.

View solution in original post

Re: Using Fios tv with my own router
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Gj22 wrote:

Thank you in advance!

If you do a search, you'll find a LOT of threads on almost exactly the topic you need. Basically in order to get boxes authorized, you HAVE to have a Verizon router in the system as the primary. Also you need the Verizon router for firmware updates. There are workarounds for everything else.