VCR receives and records video but no sound
MikeF2013
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a dual DVD/VCR, circa 2003, that I was using through Comcast for the past 9 years no problem. Recently switched to Verizon and I can't get sound from the cable feed.

Verified the coaxial is hooked up correctly, can watch and record through channel 3 but no sound. Also hooked up RCA plugs from video/audio out to TV input 1, same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas or run across this before? I suspect its an incompatibility problem between the set top box and the VCR. Maybe the VCR can't handle the FIOS signal? Am I doomed to buying or renting a DVR, just so I can record something infrequently? Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: VCR receives and records video but no sound
MikeF2013
Enthusiast - Level 2

I ended up figuring this out. The audio setting for the cable box was set to 3. I went through Menu, Settings, and found the audio for the top set box. The volume can be set to a maximum of 30, which is what I set it too, and the sound is coming through now.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
MikeF2013
Enthusiast - Level 2

I ended up figuring this out. The audio setting for the cable box was set to 3. I went through Menu, Settings, and found the audio for the top set box. The volume can be set to a maximum of 30, which is what I set it too, and the sound is coming through now.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MikeF2013 wrote:

Suggest you find the audio setting and set it to fixed.  Menu/settings/audio/Volume control.

0 Likes
MikeF2013
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, this is what I did to get the sound.

Thought I had this completely resolved, but found out the sound shuts off if the TV is off when recording.

I found another older post about this, seems like an issue with the set top box and the HDMI.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Audio-Problems-and-shortcomings-of-the-Cis...

So, when I want to record something on the VCR and not have the TV turned on, I need to disconnect the HMDI cable from the TV. To be honest, I'm getting tired of working around all these issues with Verizon, I never had these issues with Comcast.

0 Likes