Re: Verizon begins testing Motorola QIP 7232 with 320GB HD
10nisman94
Contributor - Level 1

I would love to beta, please put this up on the test track site!

I don't see why USB would be prefered, eSATA has higher real world throughput ratesand USB hard drives are popular only do to the convenience of the plug. If every computer/device had a powered esata port, USB hard drives wouldn't exist. External expansion of a DVR doesn't need to be compatable with everything else, it just needs to work and,for this use, I believe that eSATA is a surperior choice. I'm conserned that pushing USB compatability for hard drives will degrade preformance and slow development/deployment. Could some one please pass my message on to @fiostv on twitter.

Tomato

10nisman94: how fast is eSATA? Is it capable of 400 MByte/s? As best as I understand what I read, SuperSpeed USB is capable of that or more. Also, there will soon be a wireless USB that seems to be expected to be capable of 60 MB/s.

Can you confirm these? Hopefully, Verizon already knows the answers to these questions and hopefully the descision to use USB is the right descision.

0 Likes
10nisman94
Contributor - Level 1

eSATA is capable of handling the same ammount of throughput as regular SATA, the plug is just shaped slightly different. SATA/eSATA has enough bandwidth for all current hard drives, including most, if not all, solid state drives. Your average hard drive does a maximum of about 80MB/s reads and 60MB/s writes(could be lower), but USB can only handle about 20MB/s sustained throughput.

0 Likes
nXt1
Contributor - Level 1

One BAD thing about eSATA is that it's not daisy-chainable.

One eSATA port supports only ONE eSata device.

0 Likes
10nisman94
Contributor - Level 1

Not true, there are eSATA port expanders, the motherboard/chipset has to support it.

0 Likes
jmercado567

Interesting... shortly after me posting this, the video quality has changed to the better.  all the artifacts are gone and quality is back to what I was expecting...   Who ever is watching... thanks for getting it fixed or updated. Now skin and hair is clearly defined unlike before with the grainy effect. 

Now if they could make a full screen guide and keep all channels sorted...   for example Spike non hd and HD next to each other.

Local chanels in HD would be nice... my old receiver had the ability of picking up locals HD and sorting them as part of your guide.  now that was cool and useful.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@jmercado567 wrote:

Interesting... shortly after me posting this, the video quality has changed to the better.  all the artifacts are gone and quality is back to what I was expecting...   Who ever is watching... thanks for getting it fixed or updated. Now skin and hair is clearly defined unlike before with the grainy effect. 

Now if they could make a full screen guide and keep all channels sorted...   for example Spike non hd and HD next to each other.

Local chanels in HD would be nice... my old receiver had the ability of picking up locals HD and sorting them as part of your guide.  now that was cool and useful.

Glad to hear it is better! It most certainly should be.

A couple of your comments confuse me:

1) "keep all channels sorted...   for example Spike non hd and HD next to each other." - Why? I watch HD 95% or more of the time, I most certainly do not want any SD channels mixed in when I am surfing.

2) "Local chanels in HD would be nice" - You don't get your local channels in HD on FiOS? I assume you are referring to receiving them over-the-air, but why would you want to do that when they are available as part of the FiOS distribution? I get all of the local channels I care about, plus a bunch I don't, and every one that is broadcast in HD is available in HD.

Have you used the Favorites function to include only the channels you want and exclude those you don't? It is easy to set up, takes a little time but well worth the effort IMO. If you haven't done so, I encourage you to take a look at the thread I put together some time ago on using Favorites:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Exploiting-FiOS-TV-Favorites/td-p/9935

Can't hurt to try it if you haven't, might help.

As I said, I am confused....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
kkail

Sign me up for testing

0 Likes
TexasStation

I would also be interested in being a Beta tester

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

try signing up at the fios lab -   that may be for trying out the new dvr's too...

http://www22.verizon.com/residential/aboutfios#labs

0 Likes