Re: Verizon FIOS and Samsung TVs
airscapes1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I posted this in another thread but if you are still using component give this a try and let us know what happens.

Turn everthing off and unplug the component cable

Turn off the STB

Plug in the HDMI cableto the TV and STB

Turn on the TV

Now if this worked for you as it does me, you should see the verizon screen saver saying your STB is in standby and to push menu.  Cross your fingers and do so.  

I am not using a new HD TV but and older DLP projector that worked fine with a 7100 box but does not handshake with the 6200 box that tech support sent me to replace a defecive (non HDMI issue) 7100 box.  

I do not turn the projector on and off like a tv, but unhook and put away after each use so this workaround may need to be done every time you turn your tv on, if it works at all.

If I was to just leave the STB on and plug in the HDMI cable and power up the projector, I get no picture.  Hope this helps someone who is using component against there will.

NOTE:I am also using the RF output of the same box connected to a standard set.  Of course tech support says this is not supported and you need a box for every thing you connect.. give me a break....  funny how I can hook up more than one device to my DVD player at once.. 

Message Edited by airscapes1 on 07-30-2009 06:22 AM
Message Edited by airscapes1 on 07-30-2009 06:23 AM
0 Likes
BOOOOMER

Airscapes,

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried a couple of sequences for turning the components on and off including the sequences you mentioned. got the screen asking me to "Push the Menu button" but the results are pretty consistent - normal TV for about 20 seconds then the blank green screen.

I'm back to the Component connection.

0 Likes
airscapes1
Enthusiast - Level 2
Sorry it didn't work.. I feel for you. 
0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

I have FiOS, my Samsung works perfectly with it.

Oh wait,  I have a TivoHD with cable card.

🙂

0 Likes
pderby
Enthusiast - Level 1

BOOOOMER, give this a try:

Here is how you might solve the Samsung/Motorola STB synch problem:

• Enter the Set Top Box "User Settings" Mode
    • Start with your Motorola Set Top Box and HDTV both On.
    • On the front panel of your Motorola Set Top Box (not the remote control) press the following in quick succession: Power, Select, Menu.
    • You should now see a Menu in grey/black that is titled "User Settings"
  • Using the buttons on the front of your Motorola STB adjust the following settings:
    • TV Type: Should be set to 16:9 for an HDTV
    • HDMI/YPbPr Output: Should be set to an appropriate HD setting (720P or 1080i)
    • 4:3 Override: Should be set to OFF (The problem with Samsung TV's occurs when this is set to 480i
  • Exit the "User Settings" Menu by pressing the Power button on the front of the Motorola Set Top Box

If this works or doesn't work, let others know along with the exact model of your Samsung TV.  It worked with my Samsung 56" DLP TV.
0 Likes
BOOOOMER

pderby:

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't work. Green screen came on after 20 seconds. I also tried the other option - 480p as well .

My Samsung is an  LN46A750.

0 Likes
IHatetheDolans
Enthusiast - Level 2

@BOOOOMER wrote:

Hi - new to the forum. The comments that I've read are very informative. Thanks everyone.

I just switched from cablevision to FIOS. My old set up: a Samsung  LN46A750 connected to a Yamaha RX-V863 AV Receiver via HDMI that was connected to a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD - also via HDMI.

Everything worked fine.

However when the FIOS installer connected the Motorola 7216 DVR to the AV reciver via the same HDMI cable the TV would go on for about 20 seconds and then go green(GSOD - Green Screen of Death??).

After a couple of minutes on the phone with tech support, the installer said there was no cure but was optomistic that one would be coming soon as this was a known problem.

So the installer connected the DVR directly to the TV via component cables bypassing the HDMI to the AV Receiver. The Tv works but with diminished clarity/resolution/color.

A bit of a dissapointment as its a step down in quality from our old set up. It's contrary to everything i've heard about FIOS

Although there can be a difference between sources, there should not be a marked drop-off when going from HDMI to Component, or vice versa. You will find folks fall into one of three categories: HDMI is better, Componenet is better, or I can't tell the difference. One can argue about detail, color saturation, etc. and have a valid point in regards to either of these connections. However, if there is a noticiable degradation in picture quality across the board when you go from HDMI to Component, this suggests a calibration, cabling, or input problem. If clarity, resolution and color are affected, check your settings for that input and try matching them to the settings for the HDMI input. Also, if you have the means, try different cables to be sure that you are getting a good signal across the wire.

While your eye may find that the picture is not as "perfect" as the HDMI was, the difference should be subtle and be more of a preference issue rather than marked degradation. 

0 Likes
Huuuze
Enthusiast - Level 2
Replying to my original question, I spoke with Samsung this afternoon.  The 26" model I've been eyeballing has not had any reported issues with the HDMI connection and the Motorola STB.  Furthermore, according to the Samsung rep, the HDMI issue appears to be isolated to the 2008 Samsung models.  The 2009 models have not had the issue.
0 Likes
yleekiotea
I recently bought 3 samsung hd tv's.  I have had issues with  2 of them when connected to my dvr. In fact one died completely, Lost both picture then sound. I had to replace it that is why I had 3 when I only wanted 2. I have never had any issues with my 46" 8series 1080p HD LCD TV. However that is connected to a HD box via rf cable with both in and out connection also via an hdmi cable. But, one of the  6series died via hdmi (thank goodness it was only 15days old May 2009) And I have problems with the 7series I replaced it with. All I wanted was to see a good hd picture who knew it would be such a pain? Also did you know that live tv is not being broadcast in 1080p yet ? Interlaced makes the picture not look as good as it should. So  what is the purpose? OH well, good luck on your journey with FIOS/Samsung  adventure.
0 Likes
Huuuze
Enthusiast - Level 2
Can you post the model numbers for those TVs?
0 Likes