Verizon Fios DVR to computer
kellit71

I know similar questions have been posted so I apologize in advance for the repeat!  I read the previous posts but they did not help me so I'm hoping someone here can.  All I want to know is if I can transfer the recordings on my DVR to a computer.  I am not particularly savvy in this area, so if it is possible (I've heard conflicting answers on this), can someone please explain to me in really simple laymens terms (and I mean really, really simple!) how to transfer the DVR recordings? (i.e. what, if any, special equipment I need to do it, what order to do it in, etc).  Anyone who can help, I thank you in advance!  Smiley Wink

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Fios DVR to computer
prisaz
Legend

@kellit71 wrote:

I know similar questions have been posted so I apologize in advance for the repeat!  I read the previous posts but they did not help me so I'm hoping someone here can.  All I want to know is if I can transfer the recordings on my DVR to a computer.  I am not particularly savvy in this area, so if it is possible (I've heard conflicting answers on this), can someone please explain to me in really simple laymens terms (and I mean really, really simple!) how to transfer the DVR recordings? (i.e. what, if any, special equipment I need to do it, what order to do it in, etc).  Anyone who can help, I thank you in advance!  Smiley Wink

No. You can not copy the programs from the DVR. You can watch some video formats that are on you computer via the DVR, if they are in the correct format, and you have the software loaded and configured properly.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Fios DVR to computer
xavier
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually, yes, you can. In the US all cable operators are required to keep the FireWire port on STB boxes enabled and operational.

With a 32-bit Windows installation (XP easily, Vista/7 less so but possible), you can use the FireSTB drivers and capture software (Google "firestb"). On Linux you can use the libiec61883 package and the "test-mpeg2" utility that comes with it to capture raw MPEG-2 transport streams from your STB (and can then play/edit them with the software of your choice). On Linux you should also be able to drive the STB with MythTV (I haven't tried the 7216 yet but the 6412 I had with Comcast worked OK).

Sorry if it's not simple - but it's not really a simple thing (not nearly as simple as it should be in this glorious Year Of Our Lord 2010...)

0 Likes