Verizon FIOS TV Improvement
STOLSS
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just switch from Dish Network and have the following improvements for Verizon. 

1) Need to add auto-tune feature for DVR.  This was a very nice feature with Dish!  Ex:  If find a program you want to watch later in the day or future you can select to auto-tune from DVR to this program w/o recording it.  Saves hard drive space.

2) TV guide needs to show original air date of programs, cast, and include the "NEW" symbol in the guide.  Only way to tell if "New" is by selecting Info within guide.  Waste of time!  Still doesn't show the cast.

3) TV guide is terrible and needs a lot of work.  Very hard to read, wasted space on the ends, and different colors make no sense.

4) TV Guide needs to include a sort feature for "Subscribed Only" channels.  Now can only view All Channels, HD Channels, and Favorites.

5) TV Guide channel numbers are in ascending order which is counterintuitive.  If you want to go up in channels you hit the up button or up channel button, not down!

6) Need to add a feature to display incoming phone calls like a caller ID box that displays on the screen for a few seconds or so.  This was a very cool feature with Dish.  It should be a very easy thing for Verizon to implement since Phone and TV are all FIOS.

7) DVR is terrible.  Dish Network DVR was awesome compared to this.  Reviews are correct.  Dish's DVR is over 4 years old and makes Verizon's DVR look like the first Windows app I used in the 90s.  Suggest Verizon order or buy a Dish DVR and learn from it.

😎 DVR has absolutely no space and no means to expand it.  Why?

9) STB needs to have dual tuners and UHF frequency remotes.  Dual tuners will eliminate the need for two separate boxes and the UHF remotes will allow hiding the box in a closet or another room.  Seems to be an excuse to charge more for two STB instead of one.  Dish has dual tuners.

10) Why does it take so longer to change channels?  FIOS is suppose to be so fast!

After writing the above, I should of stayed with Dish Network and tried to get a lower price or something.  However, I like FIOS TV video on demand wide selection, widgets, and bundle price with Verizon FIOS.  O well, see if Verizon listens to their customers or not.  Probably not so will be looking for a new subscriber when my year is up.

Re: Verizon FIOS TV Improvement
bigdaddyfios
Enthusiast - Level 2
YOU MUST LEAD A VERY BORING UNINSPIRED LIFE
0 Likes
Reaper
Enthusiast - Level 3

@bigdaddyfios wrote:
YOU MUST LEAD A VERY BORING UNINSPIRED LIFE
Pfft, that was helpful.  Smiley Mad
Message Edited by Reaper on 04-22-2009 05:43 PM
0 Likes
Reaper
Enthusiast - Level 3

STOLSS:

In the past year I've had Dish Network, then DIRECTV and now FiOS and I'm happy to say that I've never been happier with my TV viewing experience than I am now with FiOS.

I have some opinions regarding some of your statements:

3) I really like the different colors for different types of shows. If I'm looking for sports for instance, I can very quickly scroll and just look for dark green. Frankly, your comment that "different colors make no sense" makes no sense.  Smiley Happy

6) Onscreen caller ID is purportedly in the works, and I agree that it would be a nice (if uneccesary) feature.

7) I think that the DVR is quite good; it is very fast and responsive. What specifically do you not like about it?

😎 "DVR has absolutely no space" is a bit of an exaggeration. It has room for approximately 20 hours of HD programming. But I agree that Verizon needs to provide a box with a much larger hard drive (say 1 TB) or enable support for external hard drives. This is also reportedly in the works.

9) Only Dish has this. Yes, it's the bomb, but I don't think that you're going to find it anywhere else.

10) For me, FiOS is much faster and more responsive than Dish ever was. Perhaps there is something wrong with your install?

In summary, Dish's HD DVRs really are the best in the business. While it's imperfect however, I have been very happy with my FiOS HD DVR. I certainly like it better than DIRECTV's offering. If FiOS would only add a true 16:9 HD interactive media guide, support for external hard drives and PIP (single line out) I would be one happy clam.

ak2009
Enthusiast - Level 3

I fully agree with STOLSS. I was a DirecTV customer prior to switching to FiOS TV, and the Verizon HD DVR stinks. I would add one more to your list STOLSS

11. HDMI does not work on the stinking motorola box. I get pathetic sound and degraded quality using the technicians recommended component/compsite solution. Talk about out dated technology with meager storage, poor interface...

I should have stayed with DirecTV... the bundle discount lured me to FiOS TV, but I do not think it's worth it at all! I'm looking for alternatives, and I think I'll give Dish Network a try...

0 Likes
charla

I definitely agree with the lack of information on the data guide.  Even the Fios online TV listing's guide is less informative than Comcast's, for instance.  It never lists the cast in the movie, year it was filmed. Nor on TV series, does it state whether or not it is a "new" or "repeat" episode.  Would also be nice if you could add a channel to Favorites by clicking on it while watching, instead of having to go through the whole add/delete channel menu each time. 

With Verizon trying to convert and tempt new subscribers, you'd think they would have made sure they had at least the same "bells and whistles" as the competition.

Message Edited by charla on 04-23-2009 12:01 PM
0 Likes
Reaper
Enthusiast - Level 3

@ak2009 wrote:

11. HDMI does not work on the stinking motorola box. I get pathetic sound and degraded quality using the technicians recommended component/compsite solution. Talk about out dated technology with meager storage, poor interface...

I should have stayed with DirecTV... the bundle discount lured me to FiOS TV, but I do not think it's worth it at all! I'm looking for alternatives, and I think I'll give Dish Network a try...

HDMI works fine for me. I suggest that you contact Verizon technical support.

You had 30 days after FiOS TV was installed to cancel your service and go back to DIRECTV. Since you feel so strongly about it, I'm surprised that you didn't decide to do so within the alloted time. There must have been something compelling to make you stay, even if it was just the bundle pricing. The Same goes for the OP and Dish Network.

0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

@charla wrote:

Would also be nice if you could add a channel to Favorites by clicking on it while watching, instead of having to go through the whole add/delete channel menu each time. 

Although in general I agree with many comments about FIOS' shortcomings, you can actually do what you want very easily.  When watching a channel that you want to add to Favorites, click on the "Options" button.  One of the options that you can select is to add it to either of the two favorite lists (or delete it from a Favorite list if it's already on one)

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@charla wrote:

I definitely agree with the lack of information on the data guide.  Even the Fios online TV listing's guide is less informative than Comcast's, for instance.  It never lists the cast in the movie, year it was filmed. Nor on TV series, does it state whether or not it is a "new" or "repeat" episode.  Would also be nice if you could add a channel to Favorites by clicking on it while watching, instead of having to go through the whole add/delete channel menu each time.

There is frequently far more information available for series programs and movies than you state. If you are looking at a program or movie in the guide and you want more info than is displayed, hit the Info button. You usually will find much of the info you are looking for: cast, new or repeat (frequently wrong according to some people), the year, etc. Even if you just are watching the program and want more info, hit the Info button twice and you will frequently get what you want.

As to adding a channel to your Favorites, that question has already been answered by Capntrips. But if you haven't read the thread I created about exploiting the Favorites facility you might want to do it, there might be some info there that can help:

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_TV&thread.id=5083

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
charla
Thanks for the tip on Favorites.  I just switched from Comcast to Fios a week ago,  and am still learning how to fully utilize the remote.  The ability to program from the internet is a big plus.
0 Likes