Re: Verizon FIOS TV Improvement
nascar
Master - Level 1

I agree with your points #2, 3, 6, and 8.

1, 4, 5, 7, 9 and 10... not so much. 

It is probably just me but I don't see the value in having a tuner on my DVR feed another TV and control it via UHF remote.

What amazes me and I read this over and over is how people are disappointed in FiOS after they switch.  It begs a simple question...  Didn't you do your research?  I have had FiOS available to me for a year and a half before I switched.  Why?  Because my provider, Comcast, was better.  Once FiOS stopped using the Microsoft Guide and made their IMG guide nearly bug free and made carriage deals that I needed them to have I switched.

I also went to my neighbors and "played" with FiOS first hand and when it was right, I switched.

For the life of me I don't understand how people do not do any research and then find themselves disappointed.

Reaper
Enthusiast - Level 3

@nascar wrote:

For the life of me I don't understand how people do not do any research and then find themselves disappointed.

...and then complain about it.

As I said earlier, if the OP is so enamored with Dish Network then he should have gone back to them before his 30-day FiOS TV trial period expired.

I understand wanting the product to be better, especially in terms of the interface and the DVR, but in terms of quality and quantity of (especially HD) programming, FiOS stands alone at the top IMO.

0 Likes
ak2009
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Reaper wrote:

@nascar wrote:

...and then complain about it.

As I said earlier, if the OP is so enamored with Dish Network then he should have gone back to them before his 30-day FiOS TV trial period expired.

I understand wanting the product to be better, especially in terms of the interface and the DVR, but in terms of quality and quantity of (especially HD) programming, FiOS stands alone at the top IMO.

With all due respect to you two, I wish that I could be as content with my FiOS TV as you two are. And you're right, I should have done a lot more research instead of being lured with a bundle discount from Verizon. Not all of us have had the same prior experiences with HD or home theaters or DVR's etc. Sadly, I've been spoilt by DirecTV for the last two years, which is why I am so unhappy with my switch. I thought saving some money would be good for me. I was mistaken. But don't expect me to say that something's excellent when I don't belive it is. When I know and have experienced something better, I won't say that what I currently have is better. No way. But for now, I'm stuck with Verizon.

In any case, do you think Verizon is going to improve their DVR if the customers don't complain? But the way it looks to me, Verizon won't improve this outdated DVR even if the customers complain.FiOS TV and the motorola HD DVR don't even come close to DirecTV's technology, and the motorola buggy DVR doesn't even come close to ANY other DVR out there.

0 Likes
Reaper
Enthusiast - Level 3

@ak2009 wrote:

In any case, do you think Verizon is going to improve their DVR if the customers don't complain? But the way it looks to me, Verizon won't improve this outdated DVR even if the customers complain.FiOS TV and the motorola HD DVR don't even come close to DirecTV's technology, and the motorola buggy DVR doesn't even come close to ANY other DVR out there.

It's true that Verizon needs to feel pressure to improve their software and/or hardware. I guess that I'm just not a fan of "I should have stayed with..." or "I will switch back to...as soon as I can" posts.

So much of this is in the eye of the beholder though. I really dislike the DirecTV HD DVRs - they feel cobbled together to me (both in terms of hardware and software), and are sluggish compared to the FiOS HD DVR. Dish Network's HD DVRs are FAR superior to DirecTV's, and I even like FiOS' better than DirecTV's. Having said that though, I'm seriously considering buying a Moxi HD DVR for its true HD 16:9 interface and storage capacity (500 GB hard drive with support for an external hard drive up to 2 TB). They just started offering a 0% financing plan - $39.95/month for 20 months.

Message Edited by Reaper on 04-24-2009 12:08 PM
0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

@Reaper wrote:

@ak2009 wrote:

It's true that Verizon needs to feel pressure to improve their software and/or hardware. I guess that I'm just not a fan of "I should have stayed with..." or "I will switch back to...as soon as I can" posts.

So much of this is in the eye of the beholder though. I really dislike the DirecTV HD DVRs - they feel cobbled together to me (both in terms of hardware and software), and are sluggish compared to the FiOS HD DVR. Dish Network's HD DVRs are FAR superior to DirecTV's, and I even like FiOS' better than DirecTV's. Having said that though, I'm seriously considering buying a Moxi HD DVR for its true HD 16:9 interface and storage capacity (500 GB hard drive with support for an external hard drive up to 2 TB). They just started offering a 0% financing plan - $39.95/month for 20 months.

Message Edited by Reaper on 04-24-2009 12:08 PM

I'm interested in the moxi myself.  Please let me know if you do it and how the M Card install goes.

You may want to look at this...

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/04/21/moxi-hd-dvr-initial-impressions/

0 Likes
Reaper
Enthusiast - Level 3

@nascar wrote:

You may want to look at this...

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/04/21/moxi-hd-dvr-initial-impressions/

Thanks nascar, I've been looking for a review.

It bugs me that there is no Guide button on the remote, and no option for a grid guide.  Smiley Sad

0 Likes