FiOS Installation Basics
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@brundienew wrote:

... when the ONT gets installed at your home, how does it connect out to the Verizon fiber in the street? ...

... is it copper from the home to the street when it gets converted to fiber via some type switch or media converter ... [?]

Verizon runs fiber from the "street" (actually there is more than one arrangement, but for the sake of illustration, let's call it the "street") to a device called the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) located at the subscriber's building.  The ONT can be placed  outside the building or within.  This is where the connection to fiber occurs.
From the ONT there are many possibilities, but typically Cat 3 or Cat 5 (what I believe you are calling RJ45) is run to the telephone devices, and coax is run to a router and to all the STB/DVR devices.  All of these cables can be generally classified as "copper" which is how signals are transmitted throughout the building (neglecting any wireless networks).
That's it in a nutshell, but it should be noted that there are many other possible arrangements.  Do a little research on FiOS installations and wiring and spend some time studying up, and you will quickly get the idea.  When I typed "FiOS installation diagram" into Google a few minutes ago, I got 72,000 hits.
0 Likes
Re: FiOS Installation Basics
brundienew

Yes thanks for the extra info. I did some research prior to posting my question here.

I guess the ONT, houses the single strand fiber from the street.  I believe there is fiber in the street outside my condo.  Is there a way to use the copper from my junction box in my basment to connect to the fiber in the street?  The ONT would not probably work because it seems like ti was built specifically for this transport.converting the fiber from the street to copper\coax inside the home.

Is there a way FIOS can be used via the landline copper inside the home and it gets converted outside at the Vzn box\panel?

All would be needed is two pairs of copper to get ethernet going between the home at the Vzn panel\box out to the street, and then ride the fiber there.

I know I am probably reaching here, but I just hate having one option for the cable\internet service.  And no...I cannot move so please,,,,this is not an option.

thanks again!

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@brundienew wrote:

... I guess the ONT, houses the single strand fiber from the street.  I believe there is fiber in the street outside my condo.  Is there a way to use the copper from my junction box in my basment to connect to the fiber in the street?  The ONT would not probably work because it seems like ti was built specifically for this transport.converting the fiber from the street to copper\coax inside the home.

Is there a way FIOS can be used via the landline copper inside the home and it gets converted outside at the Vzn box\panel?

All would be needed is two pairs of copper to get ethernet going between the home at the Vzn panel\box out to the street, and then ride the fiber there ...

I'm afraid that I don't understand what your questions mean, what you're trying to accomplish, or phrases like "FIOS can be used via the landline copper inside the home," "ride the fiber there," etc.

I described a typical FiOS install in my earlier messages.  Taking a look at the FiOS installation diagrams I referenced may provide you with answers.  Good luck whatever you decide.

0 Likes
bob4281
Enthusiast - Level 2

@brundienew wrote:

Yes thanks for the extra info. I did some research prior to posting my question here.

I guess the ONT, houses the single strand fiber from the street.  I believe there is fiber in the street outside my condo.  Is there a way to use the copper from my junction box in my basment to connect to the fiber in the street?  The ONT would not probably work because it seems like ti was built specifically for this transport.converting the fiber from the street to copper\coax inside the home.

All would be needed is two pairs of copper to get ethernet going between the home at the Vzn panel\box out to the street, and then ride the fiber there.

I know I am probably reaching here, but I just hate having one option for the cable\internet service.  And no...I cannot move so please,,,,this is not an option.

thanks again!

You need an dedicated ONT installed to use FIOS. You can not piggyback on the landlords.  There is no way to connect to fiber optic without the ONT.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The box at the street is not an ONT.

An ONT is provided for each house that gets FIOS services (phone, Internet and/or TV). (Multi-unit buildings are done differently).

So that is where your phone, Internet and coax connections would terminate.

BTW, my house was built in 1967.

Verizon ran a fiber from the pole overhead to a corner of my house.

ONT was mounted there.

Connections for telephone, power and TV were run through a hole in the wall and distributed within my house.

Hope this helps clear it up.

0 Likes