Verizon Netflix channel 838 versus streaming Netflix
Rick5472
Contributor - Level 2

I have been having issues watching Netflix on Fios channel 838 in Maryland. It seems when watching via the Fios channel and also after some other commands (like fast forward, rewind, pause, stop, etc) , my Fios cable box freezes up and goes through the reboot process and I have to wait for it to come back up and then resume Netflix. I recently got a Roku unit and have been watching Netflix via that streaming device. What is the difference between viewing Netflix on Fios channel 838 and viewing it on the Roku device? Also is there something wrong with my connection using Fios channel 838 if this keeps happening, and what should I do? I tried calling Fios support but they usually end up rebooting the boxes or resetting the ONT. Thanks for any scoop.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon Netflix channel 838 versus streaming Netflix
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Rick5472 wrote:

I don't believe I have the new Fios ne Boxes. My STBs are model IPC1100 so I guess these are older? It is connected via coax. Support did not mention going in to reset anything but I will give that a try. How do I get the new STBs and are they more reliable? Probably cost me more on my monthly fee too?

The IPC1100 is the old box, and has a lot less ram, and a slower processor than the newer IPC4100 series. COULD be part of the Netflix issue you are having. Not sure how you reset the Netflix app on the IPC1100, but this will get you to the diagnostic menu :

Using the Diagnostics

To use the diagnostics:

1. Ensure that the IPC1100 is installed with the current version of software and that it is connected to an AC outlet.

There are three methods to Access User Setting to optimize the output settings:

a. See BUI Access section (Press and Hold ‘D’ Key on IR Remote for 10 seconds, then Release Key) and select User Setting from BUI Main Menu

b. The traditional method of configuring User Settings is also supported.

Press power and immediately press select on the remote control twice to enable diagnostic mode. This traditional Method will Power Off the application and is not recommended if diagnostic information is needed for video or session status

c. with the box on press stb power>ok>menu

found this by CRobGauth:

Try this.

Go to menu - settings - system info

Hit info.

Use down arrow to second page.

It should say hit ok to reset netflix app.

Try that.

Also check this thread:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-TV-Programming/Netflix-fails-to-load/td-p/849812/page/1

I think page 3 and 4 refer to your issue.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Rick5472 wrote:

I have been having issues watching Netflix on Fios channel 838 in Maryland. It seems when watching via the Fios channel and also after some other commands (like fast forward, rewind, pause, stop, etc) , my Fios cable box freezes up and goes through the reboot process and I have to wait for it to come back up and then resume Netflix. I recently got a Roku unit and have been watching Netflix via that streaming device. What is the difference between viewing Netflix on Fios channel 838 and viewing it on the Roku device? Also is there something wrong with my connection using Fios channel 838 if this keeps happening, and what should I do? I tried calling Fios support but they usually end up rebooting the boxes or resetting the ONT. Thanks for any scoop.

Which Fios boxes do you have? The new Fios One boxes or older ones? If the new ones are you watching on a mini or the main box? If it is a mini, is it wireless or coax or Ethernet connection? The Roku uses WiFi to provide your content through apps designed mostly by the content providers. The Fios box sends the data through Verizon's system directly, using an app. Did support have you go here and reset the Netflix authorization?

Main Menu > Settings > System Information>Press down arrow to page 2, then press OK to reset the Netflix app.

Rick5472
Contributor - Level 2

I don't believe I have the new Fios ne Boxes. My STBs are model IPC1100 so I guess these are older? It is connected via coax. Support did not mention going in to reset anything but I will give that a try. How do I get the new STBs and are they more reliable? Probably cost me more on my monthly fee too?

0 Likes
Rick5472
Contributor - Level 2

Apparently that System Information via the Main Menu is not available for my type of STB unless I am doing something wrong.

0 Likes
Rick5472
Contributor - Level 2

After some more research, it appears that there is a step to select "Info" that I needed to do and then arrow down to page 2 and select "OK".

I will see if that fixes my issues...

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

A side note....While inside the System Diagnostics menu, checking for short and long term uncorrectable errors can help to uncover any coaxial cable irregularities. 🙂

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Rick5472 wrote:

The IPC1100 is the old box, and has a lot less ram, and a slower processor than the newer IPC4100 series. COULD be part of the Netflix issue you are having. Not sure how you reset the Netflix app on the IPC1100, but this will get you to the diagnostic menu :

Using the Diagnostics

To use the diagnostics:

1. Ensure that the IPC1100 is installed with the current version of software and that it is connected to an AC outlet.

There are three methods to Access User Setting to optimize the output settings:

a. See BUI Access section (Press and Hold ‘D’ Key on IR Remote for 10 seconds, then Release Key) and select User Setting from BUI Main Menu

b. The traditional method of configuring User Settings is also supported.

Press power and immediately press select on the remote control twice to enable diagnostic mode. This traditional Method will Power Off the application and is not recommended if diagnostic information is needed for video or session status

c. with the box on press stb power>ok>menu

found this by CRobGauth:

Try this.

Go to menu - settings - system info

Hit info.

Use down arrow to second page.

It should say hit ok to reset netflix app.

Try that.

Also check this thread:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-TV-Programming/Netflix-fails-to-load/td-p/849812/page/1

I think page 3 and 4 refer to your issue.

Rick5472
Contributor - Level 2

After finding the the option to reset Netflix and watching it for a few hours, it just happened again. The STB reset itself. Back to square one.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Rick5472 wrote:

After finding the the option to reset Netflix and watching it for a few hours, it just happened again. The STB reset itself. Back to square one.

Could it be an authorization issue with Netflix? Can you contact them and have them re-authorize your account and see if it helps? You may also want to upgrade to the newer Fios boxes too.