Re: Very slow channel change - intermittent
bob4281
Enthusiast - Level 2

They are sending me out a new 7332 since it is the only STB affected.  Looking here they have identified the problem and are working on it.  Does that mean it's not the STB, but a software glitch? Will the freezing continue on the new STB?  Does anyone have experience with the DVR cloud settings?  Does this feature allow you to store your DVR recording settings in the cloud and when you install the new STB, the settings can be retrieved?  I know the actual recordings will not transfer, but perhaps I will not have to set up all the timers.

0 Likes
BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

Hey Bob, they replaced my 7216 and the problem returned.  So I would say, no, a replacement is unlikely to solve the problem.  I tried the cloud settings and couldn't figure out how to make it work.  I ended up just creating all my series again.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@BrianC wrote:

Hey Bob, they replaced my 7216 and the problem returned.  So I would say, no, a replacement is unlikely to solve the problem.  I tried the cloud settings and couldn't figure out how to make it work.  I ended up just creating all my series again.

The Export Series to Cloud function simply uploads your current series schedule. There is no companion Import function to use on the replacement DVR. However, it is my understanding that when you try to set up your first series schedule on the new DVR you will be asked if you want to import your series info that was previously exported, and if you say yes then that saved schedule will appear on your new DVR.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@bob428 wrote:

They are sending me out a new 7332 since it is the only STB affected.  Looking here they have identified the problem and are working on it.  Does that mean it's not the STB, but a software glitch? Will the freezing continue on the new STB?  Does anyone have experience with the DVR cloud settings?  Does this feature allow you to store your DVR recording settings in the cloud and when you install the new STB, the settings can be retrieved?  I know the actual recordings will not transfer, but perhaps I will not have to set up all the timers.

I am convinced it is a software problem, as my 7232 worked just fine for quite a while and then the problem showed up on 1.9.1. Then at least part of the problem disappeared for a while, but now for the last week or two it seems to be back (in spades). And for me it only affects the DVR, not my HD STBs as some other people do experience.

Exporting to the cloud exports only the series schedule, not any other settings (and as you said, not any actual recordings), so when you get and install the new DVR you will have to go in and make all of the settings again.

One thing to keep in mind: if you have an external hard drive attached to the DVR, you will lose 100% of the recordings on that external drive (and of course any recordings on the actual DVR itself). So if you have an external hard drive attached, you may really not want to replace the DVR.

Oh, one other thing, just because they say they are sending out a new 7232 doesn't mean that it will really be a 7232! It will be a DVR, but it might very well be an older 7216, or even a really old 6416. And whatever box you return to Verizon, be sure to keep a detailed record of what is sent, when it is sent, how it is sent, and when the Verizon service center received it. A year and a half ago I replaced a couple of old SD boxes with HD boxes, and returned an HD box that was defective when they sent it to me, and I scanned all of the paperwork, took it to the local UPS store for shipment (Verizon has a contract with UPS to handle this at no cost to the customer), and I tracked the shipment all the way to the receiving dock at Verizon, and kept all of that info just in case. While you may not experience any issues at all, there are occasionally reports of Verizon billing people for boxes they have returned, and you really don't want to wind up paying for a DVR, they are not cheap.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Re: Very slow channel change - intermittant
rsswan

Anthony_VZ,

I hope that you can help. I am experiencing the same issue that I have seen on this forum regarding a lag when changing channels. Here is my information. It only happens once on my first channel change after turning the HD DVR on after several hours.    It just started a few weeks ago.

Release: 1.9.1

Build: 14.47

Platform ID: QIP-7216 P1

Please let me know if you need anymore information. 

Thanks,

Russ

Richmond, VA

0 Likes
bob4281
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  I'll let you know what happens when the new reciever gets here.

0 Likes
Rudy811

I have two of these HD DVRs and started having this problem about a month ago.  Prior to that, they both worked flawlessly.  Now, I am having the same freezing problems mentioned here.  Seems like a software issue considering they worked just fine before and both of them started having the problem.  Hopefully Verizon will fix this soon...very annoying.

0 Likes
redup
Enthusiast - Level 2

Following is my post from August on the Very Slow Channel Change.  Since then then it has improved until the past few days.  This morning when I powered up the DVRs no problem, when I attempted to change channels the DVRs freeze on the first change, after about a minute they change channels.  Certainly does not appear to be hardware.....come on Verizon......Reston Virginia:

My Post from August-------Same thing here in Reston Va.  I have two 7232 DVRs and they are now hanging up on a regular basis when I attempt to change channels.  Sometimes powering the DVR off and back on fixes it, other times I have to pull the power.  This is getting very old, so sure hope they fix it soon!!

0 Likes
Re: Very slow channel change - intermittent Clarification Requested
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Redup1 wrote:

... This morning when I powered up the DVRs  ...

What exactly do you do to "power up"?  These boxes are always on if they are plugged into an,outlet.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Very slow channel change - intermittent Clarification Requested
redup
Enthusiast - Level 2

Armond ...that would be just turing it on.....via the power button on the remote.....

0 Likes