Re: Very slow channel change - intermittent
PJL
Master - Level 3

Rumor has it that Verizon is field testing an STB fix.  The problem is caused by the system that inserts the local commercials into national channels and how the inserted commercials impact the STB.  The impact on the STB that causes the freezing happened when they started inserting HD commercials.  The SD commercials before that didn't impact the STB to the point where it froze. 

Now one would hope that Verizon would stop inserting HD commercials until all STBs wereupdated to handle them.  But I would guess that they have commitments to advertisers to insert the commercials in HD rather than SD and don't want to violate the commitments which would likely cause Verizon to lose revenue.

0 Likes
rbperrie1
Enthusiast - Level 2

It does all come down to lost revenue. Unfortunately they can put a hard number on the amount of revenue lost if they don't run the ads but they can't put a hard number on the number of customers they will loose before they get it fixed.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@rbperrie wrote:

It does all come down to lost revenue. Unfortunately they can put a hard number on the amount of revenue lost if they don't run the ads but they can't put a hard number on the number of customers they will loose before they get it fixed.

Exactly. 

0 Likes
Re: Very slow channel change - intermittant
jodie3

Both my neighbors and my response time has slowed and frozen in the last couple of months.  I may change to another service provider when my contract is up.  I believe verizon has an upgrade to faster speed but I will not pay money for it.  Why should I apy for uprade when it does not work on regular speed not.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Jodie wrote:

Both my neighbors and my response time has slowed and frozen in the last couple of months.  I may change to another service provider when my contract is up.  I believe verizon has an upgrade to faster speed but I will not pay money for it.  Why should I apy for uprade when it does not work on regular speed not.

Are you talking about TV DVR response problems in this post? It sounds like you are talking about internet, and this thread is about a performance problem with Verizon's DVRs.

If you are talking about internet performance you need to go find the correct Board to post in. If you are talking about DVR performance, maybe a little clarification would be in order.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
herbalnurse
Enthusiast - Level 1

My dvr has been locking up for several months- frustrated- spent hours on phone with tech support and this known issue was never mentioned as possibly being months to resolve. At least once the techs told me to change my remote batteries, even after telling them the batteries were new and had been replaced. I  quit calling about it cuz I didn't have more hours to spend on the phone when what I wanted was a little TV relaxation  time.

"no video signal" on start up for a minute or so, finally loads- then I can adjust channel sometimes about every 30 seconds, ( guide or just changing channels) other times freezes and Only way I have gotten correction is extremely inconvenient...Only resolves with cutting power supply and reboot entire system.  Volume control and power on off always continue working.I can't believe I am paying 200/ month for a system that won't be resolved till January. Perhaps it should be free till then, since clearly using the ad server is more important than taking care of customer experience!

PantherSpawn
I've been having this problem for ages now, probably about a year. I usually turn off and back on the box real quick or it will just hang on the channel for an eternity. I've had the same boxes and router for over two years, should I have gotten something newer since I pay $40 per month for use of the boxes alone? I have the 7216 hd dvr and the m1424 wireless router.
0 Likes
FIOS-Dan
Enthusiast - Level 3

I hope I'm not speaking out prematurely, but for the very first time this morning in many months, after I turned on my TV and changed to a different channel, I experienced NO channel lag.  My TV has been on for the past couple hours now, and not one delay so far....by now, I would typically have at least two 30 second or so delays upon changing channels..........keeping my fingers crossed!!!

0 Likes
blueribb
Contributor - Level 1

I haven't noticed the delay in the last week or so. Either it's fixed or almost fixed. Anyone here still having problems ?

0 Likes
Rudy811

We too have noticed that the problem is close to being resolved. We now rarely see the issue.  Sure am glad they fixed this.  What an annoying issue....just goes to show how we have become addicted to instant response from electronics.

0 Likes