Re: VIOS DVR CAPACITY
rweintra
Enthusiast - Level 2

The tech who is here said that he hasn't seen any at his place yet. He said Buffalo is the only place he knows of as of now and that the guys like him are the last to know.

0 Likes
alden
Contributor - Level 1

I just installed FIOS this weekend and I am happy to get brand new 7232 Motorola multiroom DVR with 500 G harddrive! The new DVR everybody was waiting so long finally arrived. Tech who installed FIOS said the new DVR's came to his Massachusetts shop just a week ago, so I am one of the first new customers to get it. Obviuosly there wiil be some time before everybody who is willing to replace his old box will be able to do so, but good news are that 7216 production is over! It will take some time to clean inventory , but I recommend everybody to inquire in their areas for 7232 boxes.

I have question though - how to check what software is installed in my new DVR 1.8 or 1.7? I asked tech - he does not have any clue. If there is any button on remote that gonna tell me that.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@alden wrote:

I have question though - how to check what software is installed in my new DVR 1.8 or 1.7? I asked tech - he does not have any clue. If there is any button on remote that gonna tell me that.

Thanks!

Go to MENU => SETTINGS => SYSTEM INFORMATION.  That will list the version of the IMG.

0 Likes
alden
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you keyboards, you've been very helpfull.

I checked my software and it's still 1.7.1 While my new DVR has 500G drive and it's pretty much enough space for me, I still wonder when new 1.8 software will be available in Massachusetts.  I  know people already started getting 1.8 release and very soon  1.9 release will roll out, but question is - will this upgrade be automatic, or I have to upgrade software manually? If so, how I can do it? 

I appreciate the answer.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@alden wrote:

Thank you keyboards, you've been very helpfull.

I checked my software and it's still 1.7.1 While my new DVR has 500G drive and it's pretty much enough space for me, I still wonder when new 1.8 software will be available in Massachusetts.  I  know people already started getting 1.8 release and very soon  1.9 release will roll out, but question is - will this upgrade be automatic, or I have to upgrade software manually? If so, how I can do it? 

I appreciate the answer.

1.8 was delayed due to bugs.  All updates are pushed by Verizon and requires no action on your part.  When they are ready to send an update you will will receive it - usually in the wee hours of the morning.

0 Likes
cailyn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I raise one question. Seeing that 75% of television companies are able to share recordings between boxes now, when will Verizon join the ban-wagon and get serious with the service? AKA: When will Home media DVR (HD-DVR with home media provisioned) be able to share recordings with other HD-DVR boxes rather than just non-dvr boxes? Hasn't this been available since like 1996 ?

I am one of the unlucky verizon customers as well who was swindled in to FiOS from DTV. Man do I miss my DTV boxes. The new Vz boxes load faster, but lack in features by far. 

Space is not a huge issue to me, so the eSata capability coming out does not mean much to me. I would much rather see Verizon put some effort in the way their boxes work. it is the 20th century and they still can not get their networking correct.

The fact that one of my DVR's can not talk to another is completely ridiculous. I need to buy non-dvr boxes for the rest of my house in order to connect to the home media dvr? Are you serious? If they would allow DVR-DVR connectivity via 1 home media solution, then we could record unlimited shows at once, and the space issue would also go away as people would own multiple DVR boxes. 

But what gets me the most, other than the complete lack of technology Verizon offers in TV, is the simple fact that every representative i talked to gave me a completely different answer to the same question .... " Can this home media DVR share recordings with my other HD DVR?" Of course when I signed up the answer was yes. I then called to ask why it wasn't working and I got like 17 "i do not know let me send a tech", then on the 18th try, the girl just said no.... 

Therefore it looks like this:

Ease of installation: Verizon

Technology worth the money and up to date: DTV

Features: DTV

Price: DTV

Online account management: DTV (Verizon is AWFUL)

Customer Support: Both such so I wont comment ..... DTV was better though. At least my stuff got fixed in the end.

0 Likes
BKinWalnut

Now that you have a 500GB HD in your Home Media DVR, how many hours of SD and HD recording time is available to you?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
500 GB

SD : close to 300 hours
HD : a little over 70 hours

when they add the 1 tb drive it will have
SD : 620 hours
HD : 145 hours

so with the 1 tb and the 500 gb you just add those two

pretty decent storage
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
"AKA: When will Home media DVR (HD-DVR with home media provisioned) be able to share recordings with other HD-DVR boxes rather than just non-dvr boxes? "

IMG 1.9 is supposed to open up DVR to DVR as well as the esata and 3d TV.
0 Likes
ToddSimons
Contributor - Level 1

Has anyone heard any more updates on these new DVRs?  ...I'm in Essex County NJ, I was in the store swapping sd for hd, and the staff thought it would be here by end of December 2010...  no such luck 😕

0 Likes