Vms 1100 painfully slow
RBurghardt

I received an “upgrade” to the vms 1100 Stb By Verizon.  Everything is painfully slow.  Clicking the guide button takes 4-5 seconds to bring up the guide. Clicking the last button takes 3-4 seconds and then the reaction time to clicking left and right arrows is awful.  I’ve tried rebooting the box and that didn’t help.  I’ve searched the forums with no luck either.  

I’ve got four “upgraded” boxes in my house now and they are all the same way - painfully slow.  Please tell me I’m doing something wrong and these upgraded boxes aren’t just pieces of junk I’m now forced to use!

0 Likes
Re: Vms 1100 painfully slow
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm guessing that Verizon sent a set of Arris IPC4100 units. The response time for my VMS (main) and remotes (minis) is very quick...no delay to speak of.

Some hardware & cable questions to start the ball rolling:

How are the boxes connected together? The choices are coaxial cable, ethernet and Wi-Fi.

If they are connected using coaxial cable, are any & all splitters MoCA 2.0 or higher compatible? If it/they are not, replace the obsolete units.

Poorly terminated cables can cause issues, so an inspection of connectors would be worth the time. Any connectors that are loose/poorly applied or severely weathered should be replaced. 

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@RBurghardt wrote:

I received an “upgrade” to the vms 1100 Stb By Verizon.  Everything is painfully slow.  Clicking the guide button takes 4-5 seconds to bring up the guide. Clicking the last button takes 3-4 seconds and then the reaction time to clicking left and right arrows is awful.  I’ve tried rebooting the box and that didn’t help.  I’ve searched the forums with no luck either.  

I’ve got four “upgraded” boxes in my house now and they are all the same way - painfully slow.  Please tell me I’m doing something wrong and these upgraded boxes aren’t just pieces of junk I’m now forced to use!

Like Dexman said, if you have boxes that like like this, you have the 4100 boxes.

imageimage

If so, they should be really quick to respond to commands. It could be that they do not have the latest firmware updates yet, give support a call, a Tweet, or a post on VZ Direct on the DSL Reports site, and ask to have the latest firmware pushed to them. They should be on APR 7.10. You can find that info here: Main Menu > Settings > System Information.

RBurghardt

Thanks for the reply, but I do not have that particular box.

Any other ideas or information I can provide to troubleshoot this?  It is SO painful to bring up the guide or the Last viewed channels.

0 Likes
RBurghardt

All of the boxes are connected via coax cable.  There aren't any splitters that I'm aware of.  Verizon installed this system in my house about 5 years ago, so I suppose it could be an old router???

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@RBurghardt wrote:

All of the boxes are connected via coax cable.  There aren't any splitters that I'm aware of.  Verizon installed this system in my house about 5 years ago, so I suppose it could be an old router???

If you do not have the boxes in the picture, you DO have the old 1100 units which are becoming painfully slow as you say with every update Verizon does of the UI. The boxes pictured are the new Fios One boxes(4100 series), which have a lot more ram, and much faster processors than the 1100 units. Also you probably do have one of the older and slower routers and possibly an old ONT too. I think you really need to get an upgrade to the entire system to see an improvement in speed and picture quality. You'll be happy  once you do, Also you HAVE to have at least one splitter in order for the system to work. That would need to be upgraded too.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Could pictures of the ONT, router, STB and, if possible the splitter that Verizon installed? It should be easy to tell with certainty what is present and what needs to be upgraded. 🙂

Note: Submitted pictures are queued for Moderator approval before appearing.

Ward4NDC
Enthusiast - Level 3

I purchased a new Samsung OLED 2022 4K Smart Television recently and the signal from the new tv to the old cable boxes weren't communicating. It turns out, I have to upgrade my Fios boxes to the TV One Boxes.

I am not an IT person and I paid Verizon the $99 installation charge to let a Verizon Technician install my new equipment. Sometimes people think the have the know how on certain technology but its best to pay a professional to install your new Verizon equipment.  Just my opinion. 

0 Likes