Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu

VOD viewing after EAS

DJM2
Contributor
Contributor

VOD viewing after EAS

Message 1 of 5
(730 Views)

For 17 years I've been experiencing an issue with VOD and was wondering if anyone has a work around.

When watching VOD, it seems to only trigger a write of your current point in the show when you hit exit or pause times out.  Those actions cause a Continue Watching button to appear when you next watch the same show.  The software does not periodically write your current location in case you are dumped out of VOD by an Emergency Alert Weekly test, an Emergency Alert Monthly test, or a mandatory software update of the settop box.  No Continue Watching button is available in those instances.

This is only a minor annoyance when watching a movie or premium network VOD selection because fast forward is available and you can swiftly fast forward to where you left off.  It becomes a real annoyance when watching a VOD show that has FF disabled. 

Many times I am 50 minutes into a 1 hour whodoneit when an EAS test is broadcast.  Verizon's answer has been to rewatch the first 50 minutes of the show to see the final 10 minutes.  One week I experienced this design flaw on three consecutive nights when the weekly EAS, monthly EAS, and software update occurred on 3 consecutive nights.

Is there a workaround to this longstanding issue other than periodically exiting the show to manually trigger a save of the current viewing point?  This issue reminds of the early days of MS Word when we'd manually hit save once a minute or we'd lose our work.  It's annoying and I've reported this design flaw for 17 years.  The Enhanced Video group has been less than helpful.

4 REPLIES 4
clem53
Platinum Contributor I Platinum Contributor I
Platinum Contributor I

Re: VOD viewing after EAS

Message 2 of 5
(659 Views)

@DJM2 wrote:

For 17 years I've been experiencing an issue with VOD and was wondering if anyone has a work around.

When watching VOD, it seems to only trigger a write of your current point in the show when you hit exit or pause times out.  Those actions cause a Continue Watching button to appear when you next watch the same show.  The software does not periodically write your current location in case you are dumped out of VOD by an Emergency Alert Weekly test, an Emergency Alert Monthly test, or a mandatory software update of the settop box.  No Continue Watching button is available in those instances.

This is only a minor annoyance when watching a movie or premium network VOD selection because fast forward is available and you can swiftly fast forward to where you left off.  It becomes a real annoyance when watching a VOD show that has FF disabled. 

Many times I am 50 minutes into a 1 hour whodoneit when an EAS test is broadcast.  Verizon's answer has been to rewatch the first 50 minutes of the show to see the final 10 minutes.  One week I experienced this design flaw on three consecutive nights when the weekly EAS, monthly EAS, and software update occurred on 3 consecutive nights.

Is there a workaround to this longstanding issue other than periodically exiting the show to manually trigger a save of the current viewing point?  This issue reminds of the early days of MS Word when we'd manually hit save once a minute or we'd lose our work.  It's annoying and I've reported this design flaw for 17 years.  The Enhanced Video group has been less than helpful.

Can't you fast-forward to the point where you left off?

DJM2
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 5
(652 Views)

@clem53 wrote:

@DJM2 wrote:

No.  Most non-premium networks have fast forward disabled in VOD. 

All these shows come up with the warning at the top of the screen when they begin saying fast forward is disabled.  If you try to use fast forward an error message pops up that fast forward is disabled.

clem53
Platinum Contributor I

Message 4 of 5
(608 Views)

@DJM2 wrote:

N

@clem53 wrote:

@DJM2 wrote:

All these shows come up with the warning at the top of the screen when they begin saying fast forward is disabled.  If you try to use fast forward an error message pops up that fast forward is disabled.

Ok, I'll check with support and see if there is an answer.

clem53
Platinum Contributor I

Message 5 of 5
(512 Views)

@DJM2 wrote:

N

@clem53 wrote:

@DJM2 wrote:

Support says they will look into it. No timeline for a fix but I'll post any updates.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title