Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu

Watch 4 recordings at once?

Reply
cpapjack
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎02-01-2012

Watch 4 recordings at once?

Message 1 of 11
(3,195 Views)

Hello. I am new to FIOS TV, but not new to Verizon. Smiley Wink

 

 

I have 1 7232 Multiroom DVR and 5 HD STB's, all with IMG 1.9.

 

Before bed each night, we let our 3 kids watch a show. We usually try to do this as a family, but sometimes we will let them watch in their bedrooms. We can only stream 2 recorded shows at once and this is a problem, as they all usually want to watch something different.

 

So my question is this: If I replace one of the HD STB's with a 2nd DVR, will this allow me to watch 3 or 4 recorded shows at once? The Tech that I spoke with said no, because the network can only handle 2 Streams. (I personally think he's full of you know what)  Also, will each of the DVR's be able to communicate with one another and will all of the other STB's be able to access either DVR?

 

Thanks in advance!

 

cpapjack

 

 

10 REPLIES 10
Bobbo527
Gold Contributor I
Gold Contributor I
Posts: 752
Registered: ‎10-18-2010

Re: Multiroom DVR with a 2nd DVR??

Message 2 of 11
(3,182 Views)

@cpapjack wrote:

Hello. I am new to FIOS TV, but not new to Verizon. Smiley Wink

 

 

I have 1 7232 Multiroom DVR and 5 HD STB's.

 

Before bed each night, we let our 3 kids watch a show. We usually try to do this as a family, but sometimes we will let them watch in their bedrooms. We can only stream 2 recorded shows at once and this is a problem, as they all usually want to watch something different.

 

So my question is this: If I replace one of the HD STB's with a 2nd DVR, will this allow me to watch 3 or 4 recorded shows at once? The Tech that I spoke with said no, because the network can only handle 2 Streams. (I personally think he's full of you know what)  Also, will each of the DVR's be able to communicate with one another and will all of the other STB's be able to access either DVR?

 

Thanks in advance!

 

cpapjack

 

 


 

I have 2 7232's and 1 HD box and to answer your second question, yes the HD box can access both dvr's and I can watch propgrams off of both (and the 7232's can access programming off of each other as well). It all works quite well actually. I have never tried to wach more than 2 shows at a time so I can't answer your first question.

cpapjack
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎02-01-2012

Re: Multiroom DVR with a 2nd DVR??

Message 3 of 11
(3,180 Views)

@bobbo527 wrote:

@cpapjack wrote:

Hello. I am new to FIOS TV, but not new to Verizon. Smiley Wink

 

 

I have 1 7232 Multiroom DVR and 5 HD STB's.

 

Before bed each night, we let our 3 kids watch a show. We usually try to do this as a family, but sometimes we will let them watch in their bedrooms. We can only stream 2 recorded shows at once and this is a problem, as they all usually want to watch something different.

 

So my question is this: If I replace one of the HD STB's with a 2nd DVR, will this allow me to watch 3 or 4 recorded shows at once? The Tech that I spoke with said no, because the network can only handle 2 Streams. (I personally think he's full of you know what)  Also, will each of the DVR's be able to communicate with one another and will all of the other STB's be able to access either DVR?

 

Thanks in advance!

 

cpapjack

 

 


 

I have 2 7232's and 1 HD box and to answer your second question, yes the HD box can access both dvr's and I can watch propgrams off of both (and the 7232's can access programming off of each other as well). It all works quite well actually. I have never tried to wach more than 2 shows at a time so I can't answer your first question.



Thanks Bobbo527! That's what I thought, but FIOS tech support says otherwise! (Surprise, surprise)

cpapjack
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎02-01-2012

Re: Multiroom DVR with a 2nd DVR??

Message 4 of 11
(3,140 Views)

Surely someone has ran into this before??

Suzanne7777
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Posts: 106
Registered: ‎02-15-2009

Re: Multiroom DVR with a 2nd DVR??

Message 5 of 11
(3,115 Views)

I think the tech might have been right.  I have two separate stbs in different rooms.  We can record two programs on each box=four programs.  The disadvantage of this is that we cannot access the recordings on each from the other stb.  I remember looking into the multi-room dvr when it first came out, and decided not to get it because I could not record as many programs at once.  May have changed since then, but I revisit the idea every now and then, and still haven't seen that you can record four programs with the multiroom dvr.  I recently read again that it only records two at one time.

Keyboards
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,323
Registered: ‎08-05-2008

Re: Multiroom DVR with a 2nd DVR??

Message 6 of 11
(3,103 Views)

@Suzanne7777 wrote:

I think the tech might have been right.  I have two separate stbs in different rooms.  We can record two programs on each box=four programs.  The disadvantage of this is that we cannot access the recordings on each from the other stb.  I remember looking into the multi-room dvr when it first came out, and decided not to get it because I could not record as many programs at once.  May have changed since then, but I revisit the idea every now and then, and still haven't seen that you can record four programs with the multiroom dvr.  I recently read again that it only records two at one time.


At present, no Verizon DVR has more than 2 tuners and thus can only record 2 shows at once.

 

TiVO Premier Elite has 4 tuners, MOXI has a 3 tuner version and the Ceton PC tuner has 4 tuners.  Only options I am currently aware of that provide more than 2 tuners.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
lasagna
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 2,002
Registered: ‎05-27-2010

Re: Multiroom DVR with a 2nd DVR??

Message 7 of 11
(3,052 Views)

Multihub with IMG1.9a does indeed let every STB (including DVR's) see every DVR in the house and play material from them.  As for the network capacity ... the boxes each allow one HD and one SD or two SD programs to be streamed from them independently.  I don't have enough STB's in my house to replicate trying to have 4 streams crossing the MoCA network simulataneously, so I don't know if Verizon limits the total number of active streams across all boxes or not. 

steeler1212
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-02-2011

Re: Watch 4 recordings at once?

Message 8 of 11
(1,739 Views)

I heard a rumor. Repeat a rumor that 5 recordings and ability to view a sixth will more than likely be available by end of third quarter, 2013. Verizon, if you are monitoring this forum, time to step up and confirm or deny. It has been long enough ( several years )!!! where the typical response is " we are woring on this, stay tuned for updates".

armond_in_nj
Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV
Posts: 1,416
Registered: ‎04-10-2012

Re: Watch 4 recordings at once? - Search "Verizon Media Server"

Message 9 of 11
(1,727 Views)

@steeler1212 wrote:

I heard a rumor. Repeat a rumor that 5 recordings and ability to view a sixth will more than likely be available by end of third quarter, 2013 ...


I don't think "rumor" accurately describes the situation.  VZ announced last January that this technology was in the offing:

 

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Programming/CES-2013-and-items-that-will-change-the-way-you-en...

 

It's been reported elsewhere that the "Verizon Media Server" is nearing the end of its test stage and is likely to be released before the end of calendar 2013.  So far the company has not officially made an announcement.

CRobGauth
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 8,008
Registered: ‎11-04-2008

Re: Multiroom DVR with a 2nd DVR??

Message 10 of 11
(1,706 Views)

I had the 1 HD limit when I had a 6416 DVR.

With my 7232, I can playback 2 HD programs at the same time.


If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started


Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title