Re: what happens when you key in an unknown channel
matcarl
Master - Level 1
Sometimes people like to channel surf to see what's around besides their Favorites. I constantly surf all the movie channels and the news channels. I wouldn't want them all in my Favorites though.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@matcarl wrote:
Sometimes people like to channel surf to see what's around besides their Favorites. I constantly surf all the movie channels and the news channels. I wouldn't want them all in my Favorites though.

To each his own, I guess. When I want to see what is on in my Favorites, I hit the Favorites button. When I want to see what is on outside my Favorites, I hit the Guide button. When I want to surf, I don't want to see any channel I am never interested in, like the ones I mentioned, so I use the Flip by Favorites setting to eliminate seeing them. But that is just me, the way I like it to work.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
BlurryEyed
Simply by pressing the "1" key on the remote will take you to channel 1951 -- URGE Comedy Channel -- the highest numbered channel. This is only since the recent channel realignment. Previously it was a religious station that held the highest channel number. I think it could be quite common for a child just to press the "1" key on a remote. Perhaps FiOS should have been a little more attentive when they were figuring out the new channel placements.  
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@BlurryEyed wrote:
Simply by pressing the "1" key on the remote will take you to channel 1951 -- URGE Comedy Channel -- the highest numbered channel. This is only since the recent channel realignment. Previously it was a religious station that held the highest channel number.

Not on my DVR. I have had the channel re-alignment for several weeks, and got the 1.6 IMG upgrade last night. I just now pressed 1 and waited for the channel to change, it went to 888, which is the highest channel I have in my Favorites. That is just what I would hope and expect to happen. I have no idea why you would see something different, other than we have our Favorites set up differently (or maybe you don't have Favorites set at all). 

Justin
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
Justin, unless they have their DVR's set to Flip By Favorites like you do, their sets are performing normally. 1951 will always show up. How come you are always amazed when people ask it? Not many people have it defaulted to Flip By Favorites.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@matcarl wrote:
Justin, unless they have their DVR's set to Flip By Favorites like you do, their sets are performing normally. 1951 will always show up. How come you are always amazed when people ask it? Not many people have it defaulted to Flip By Favorites.

I understand that.

Maybe I am just a stubborn old ^%$#, but I truely don't understand why everybody doesn't have Flip By Favorites set to Favorites (other than they don't know what it does and how it works), and I am just trying to convince them to try it. If they don't like it, they can always go back. I have seen numerous complaints on various forums over the last several years about how you can't remove any of the channels from the Guide and have to surf through all of those shopping, spanish language, duplicate, etc, channels, and if people would only take the time to set up a Favorites list and set Flip by Favorites properly, they would never, ever see that junk.

I find the Guide itself totally useless, I never use it, I use my Favorites 100% of the time. And now that I have two Favorites I can set up, as of this morning, l need to think about how to use the second one.

You obviously do not agree with my views, but all I am trying to do is help people enjoy their FiOS TV more. In this case, I believe if he would set up the Favorites properly, the specific problem he is experiencing would go away - do you find something wrong with me trying to help him solve a problem that he brought up? I don't, FWIW. And if he doesn't like it, or it doesn't solve his problem, he can go back to the way it was in about 10-15 seconds.

Justin
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
There is nothing wrong with wanting to help him, but in that post you didn't explain about the Flip By Favorites option, you just said it doesn't happen to you. It sounded like he had a bad box or something they way it was described, that's all. 
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@matcarl wrote:
There is nothing wrong with wanting to help him, but in that post you didn't explain about the Flip By Favorites option, you just said it doesn't happen to you. It sounded like he had a bad box or something they way it was described, that's all. 

Valid criticism. BUT, from the second post in this thread (by me), in direct response to his question/comment/problem: " Have you set up a Favorites and set Flip by Channel to Favorites? If not, doing so may prevent what you are seeing."

Justin
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Please remember to keep the posts courteous and on topic. 

Thank you,

KaLin

Verizon Forum Moderator

Message Edited by KaLin on 10-23-2008 02:50 PM
0 Likes
BlurryEyed

Didn't mean to cause such a uproar; I was just commenting on spangreen's initial thread topic on how easy it is to press one button (the "1" key) on the remote and land on channel 1951 and its "adult" comedy content. Actually, I have used the Flip By Favorites option, but sharing the TV and Favorites feature with my wife and 2 kids, I find that flipping thru their bookmarked channels mixed in with my own is not convenient. I prefer to manually key in the channels I want to view.

0 Likes