Enthusiast - Level 3

yes it will work, people do it frequently

0 Likes
Re: What if I buy a FIOS DVR on Ebay?
PJL
Master - Level 3

@ortiz34 wrote:

yes it will work, people do it frequently

I checked and Verizon will NOT electronically authorize any STB that is not in their inventory and assigned to the account holder.

0 Likes
rudra
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have worked for Verizon Residential(FiOS and HSI) and I assure you that it'll work perfectly; however, I would not recommend that for the reasons I shared in last post. Why worry about so many things when purchase will not save you a significant amount. It can actually leave you more prone to losing money due to reasons like no/limited warranty and no option to swap boxes based on technical advancement, new features, format change etc.
0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@rudra wrote:
I have worked for Verizon Residential(FiOS and HSI) and I assure you that it'll work perfectly; however, I would not recommend that for the reasons I shared in last post. Why worry about so many things when purchase will not save you a significant amount. It can actually leave you more prone to losing money due to reasons like no/limited warranty and no option to swap boxes based on technical advancement, new features, format change etc.

Perhaps your experience is out of date.  Verizon's inventory control system has been significantly improved and the provisioning system will not auto-authorize any equipment not in the system.

0 Likes
leepoffaith

Rudra - How would one go about activating their own Set Top Box? Should I just rent a cable card and then activate it inside the box? I did notice on my last bill that the boxes show "Rent" so I was thinking that maybe some people would be allowed to own their boxes outright. Thanks!

0 Likes
rudra
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will need your Zip code to be able to share accurate information about activation of your STBs.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some people own other boxes such as TIVO.  THe boxes branded Verizon have never been for sale.

0 Likes
leepoffaith

My zip code is 33569. I'd love to be able to activate my own cable card and/or STB. Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Likes