What's involved in hooking up a tv?
turner111
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently have Verizon FiOS Internet and phone.  The internet was installed by the Verison running a Cat5 cable from their box to my attic down to the room with the router.  I also have Comcast cable, which I want to switch to Verizon FiOS.  They will hook up 3 TVs for free, including the STBs and DVR. Will they be wiring the TVs to the existing Comcast coaxial cables? What's involved in my hooking up 2 additional TVs that will not have STBs (I only want local tv)?  I want to avoid the additional costs that Verizon charges for hooking up more than 3 TVs. 

TIA

0 Likes
Re: What's involved in hooking up a tv?
GaryQuiring1
Contributor - Level 1

FIOS will use your existing coax to hookup the TV's.  If you don't get a digital converter box your TV must have a QAM tuner and it will only receive your locals.  If you want all the channels you subscribe to you need a converter box. 

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

You will also need a coax to where the router is located.  Even though your Ethernet is CAT-5, the coax is needed for communication to your STBs (guide, VOD and Widgets are all provided over MoCA - an IP protocol over coax).

0 Likes
turner111
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the fast response.  It seems that I can do the 2 additional TVs (they both have QAM tuners) by myself, as the Verizon technicians will have to hook the router to the existing coaxial cable wires to get the feed to the 3 TVs they are supposed to hook up, and the coaxial cables currently go to all 5 TVs.

Thanks for your prompt response.

0 Likes