Re: What would you like to see from your FiOS TV?
xullal

I think my Dish DVR was the gold standard when it comes to ease of use.  I don't say this because of years of using it but whenever I was trying to do something I would guess and sure enough my guess would be right.  This is the very definition of intuitive.

With the Verizon DVR sometimes you use an arrow to move forward or backward and sometimes I have to use OK and Exit.  Try explaining this to older people.

I agree with the earlier comment of recording by "keywords."

I would love the dual tuner to actually work as Motorola intended.  I could watch two sporting events at the same time with my Dish DVR.  Hit the "Swap" button to switch between them.  This seems to be disabled by Verizon because it is certainly described in the Motorola Manual.  This is the highest priority item to me.  Also, having PIP (picture in picture) for this would be nice too while allowing me to switch.  Absolutely fantastic feature.  This should be easy to implement as it is already available from Motorola.  Please Please implement this Verizon.

When I hit the record button I want to only record from the time I hit record and not the last 30 mins.  I watch CNBC and a program may be 2-4 hrs long but I only want to record a 5 min segment.  Also, if you had a bigger buffer (2 hrs like Dish instead of your 30 mins) then you could give me the option when I hit record whether or not I want to record from the beginning or just from that point forward.  Don't need to fill up my DVR with "stuff" I don't care about.

As noted above, let's increase the size of that buffer - if Dish can go back 2 hrs then so can you.

I also agree with the comment about the weather widgets being insufficient.  A way to get more detail would be nice.

In the Guide highlight channels I am not subscribed to with a different color so I don't make the mistake of keeping on going to them.  There are too many channels and I can't explain to my parents and everyone in the household which channels I have and which I don't but I could easily say I don't have anything in RED.  Yes, I can manage this via Favorites but then I have to explain how to use this.  This would be a low priority for me.

RF support in the remote would be nice so I can hide my DVR and still operate it. (Again - see DISH).

Recording on home media DVR from connected STBs would be nice. 

Now to answer the main question:

Convergence is the buzzword.  So if I am watching a race on Speed TV I would want to see the live timing information that is available on the website.  It would be nice if I could tie a website to a particular program on a channel.  This way instead of having a laptop next to me I could bring up a specific page on a website to see live timing and scoring either on an overlay or by swapping back and forth.  It is important to tie this to a specific program and not a channel.  Similarly, I could be watching "American Idol" and see what is happening on the American Idol website.  Maybe even vote from the TV.

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

Hit "Last" on the remote to swap between tuners.  One caveat is you have to pause the tuner or it will swap back to Live.

I agree with much of what you said here...

@xullal wrote:

I agree with the earlier comment of recording by "keywords."

I would love the dual tuner to actually work as Motorola intended.  I could watch two sporting events at the same time with my Dish DVR.  Hit the "Swap" button to switch between them.  This seems to be disabled by Verizon because it is certainly described in the Motorola Manual.  This is the highest priority item to me.  Also, having PIP (picture in picture) for this would be nice too while allowing me to switch.  Absolutely fantastic feature.  This should be easy to implement as it is already available from Motorola.  Please Please implement this Verizon.

When I hit the record button I want to only record from the time I hit record and not the last 30 mins.  I watch CNBC and a program may be 2-4 hrs long but I only want to record a 5 min segment.  Also, if you had a bigger buffer (2 hrs like Dish instead of your 30 mins) then you could give me the option when I hit record whether or not I want to record from the beginning or just from that point forward.  Don't need to fill up my DVR with "stuff" I don't care about.

As noted above, let's increase the size of that buffer - if Dish can go back 2 hrs then so can you.

I also agree with the comment about the weather widgets being insufficient.  A way to get more detail would be nice.

RF support in the remote would be nice so I can hide my DVR and still operate it. (Again - see DISH).

Recording on home media DVR from connected STBs would be nice. 

Now to answer the main question:

Convergence is the buzzword.  So if I am watching a race on Speed TV I would want to see the live timing information that is available on the website.  It would be nice if I could tie a website to a particular program on a channel.  This way instead of having a laptop next to me I could bring up a specific page on a website to see live timing and scoring either on an overlay or by swapping back and forth.  It is important to tie this to a specific program and not a channel.  Similarly, I could be watching "American Idol" and see what is happening on the American Idol website.  Maybe even vote from the TV.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@xullal wrote:

In the Guide highlight channels I am not subscribed to with a different color so I don't make the mistake of keeping on going to them.  There are too many channels and I can't explain to my parents and everyone in the household which channels I have and which I don't but I could easily say I don't have anything in RED.  Yes, I can manage this via Favorites but then I have to explain how to use this.  This would be a low priority for me.

1) Re: recording from time I hit record: to each his own I guess. I prefer it to go back as far as whatever it has in its buffer. Since you don't want that, you could just change the channel two times and then go back, now there would be nothing in the buffer. A little extra work, but not much more than selecting an option on how much to record.

2) Re: the Guide; then set the Favorites up correctly one time and use the Guide button. Once set up there is absolutely nothing to explain to anybody - they hit the Guide button and they get only the Favorites by default. And if they are channel surfing, they see only the channels that are in the Favorites. Really, really simple to set up and use. There is a thread near the top of the FiOS TV area that describes in detail how to set this up.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
hs0021
After years of seemingly endless capacity on my Direct TV HD DVR I've switch to Fios to save money overall but the capacity of the DVR is lacking I'll gladly buy a external HD just give me that option if i had known how low the capacity was I would not have switched my TV service what is the HD capacity anyway? I should have done my homework.
0 Likes
AdamCV
A good quality local RADAR summary (along the lines of what I had previously with Time Warner cable, via channel 96).  See related thread in this forum (I created 4/30/09, with subject line "Weather RADAR" ... I'm trying to post the thread into this email directly, but for some reason CNTL-V (paste) won't work).
0 Likes
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1

@AdamCV wrote:
A good quality local RADAR summary (along the lines of what I had previously with Time Warner cable, via channel 96).  See related thread in this forum (I created 4/30/09, with subject line "Weather RADAR" ... I'm trying to post the thread into this email directly, but for some reason CNTL-V (paste) won't work).

I thought we already have this.  Channel 49 in my area is the localized The Weather Channel Weatherscan.  Can't imagine you would really need anything else.

0 Likes
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1

Nevermind... I just read your thread and see you are displeased with channel 49.

0 Likes
jumpin683
Contributor - Level 1
Need a sleep timer.  Yeah I could do this on the TV but then that means I need to keep the TV remote close by
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@jumpin68 wrote:
Need a sleep timer.  Yeah I could do this on the TV but then that means I need to keep the TV remote close by

This might not work exactly like you want it to now. With the implementation of the "standby message" in the STBs, if there were a sleep option in the STB then you would still get the standby message on your TV, and the TV would still be on, unless of course you have the TV plugged into the convenience outlet on the back of the STB and have that outlet controlled by the STB. Can be done but would need some setup by the user to make it work. Just a caution.....

Since I leave my STBs on all of the time, for me, I would really need to use the TV's sleep timer, which I think most TVs have these days. I would think that the universal remotes (Harmony for example) that allow you to create your own commands to devices would allow you to create an option to control the sleep timer on the TV and also provide all of the control functions the Verizon remote provides for the STB and TV. At an extra cost of course....but I have seen some refurbished Harmony remotes for about $100 I think, which isn't too bad, and Harmony users rave about how great they are.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
cvb76247
Enthusiast - Level 1

Several things I would love to see:

• The ability to watch fios tv on my iMac
  • or watch the movies from my iMac on my television.   Everything is connected wirelessly, why can't they interact?
  • I switched from Directv and really miss my caller id on my tv screen.
  • A larger hard drive or the ability to connect an external hard drive.
  • More reliable VOD...everything we have watched pauses and skips.
  • If I have been watching a show from the beginning and need to leave, I would like to be able to hit the record button and record it from the beginning of the show
  • The ability to record more than 2 things at a time...AT&T lets you record 4

I could go on and on because there is so much more that could be done, but these are my highest priority items.

Thanks for asking! 
0 Likes