Where can I split existing coax to support a new DVR STB and Slingbox?
venisonmogambi

Hi,

I want to add a new DVR STB and Slingbox to my existing FIOS. This is a three-story house. The current cabling comes in from the ONT then goes into a splitter in the basement. From the splitter, one coax cable goes to a STB in the living room on the middle floor, another coax cable goes to a STB in the bedroom on the top floor, and the third coax is run up to the FIOS router, which is in an office, also on the top floor. I want to set up the new DVR and Slingbox close to the router so that I can connect the Slingbox Ethernet directly into the router, but I don't want to deal with running a new coax from the splitter in the basement all the way up to the office on the top floor.

So my question is...can I put a splitter on one of the two coax cables that are already run to the top floor, either the TV or router coax? The ideal solution would be to split the coax that goes into the router, because then I could have the new DVR and the Slingbox right there with the router. But is that possible, or would that screw up the router's Internet connection?   

Any advice is appreciated. 

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Where can I split existing coax to support a new DVR STB and Slingbox?
Underst8
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ideally you want as few splitters in the system as possible, so you would want to replace your current splitter with a new one and run cable up from there. This limits the signal-to-noise ration reduction that each splitter adds.

However, that said in my experience the Fios signal over coax is relatively powerful compared to old cable systems. You should not have a problem just adding a splitter on the floor you need. Just make sure has the same frequency throughput as the main splitter (it should have a label on it).

0 Likes
venisonmogambi

Thanks for the feedback. So it sounds like I can get away with adding a splitter to the top floor, but the other question I had was whether I could split the coax cable that currently runs to the FIOS WiFi router. Ideally, that's the one I'd like to split, since I'd like to co-locate my Slingbox-DVR with the router.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

Slit the coax at the router as you wish -- it's better then running another long run.  Make sure to use a 5-1000MHz splitter.

0 Likes