Where did my STB IP address go?
Bob_W
Enthusiast - Level 2

I reset my Actiontec router (red button for 10 sec) and my Set Top Box IP address no longer appears in either the Main or My Network pages of the router web app.  The STB, however, seems to be working just fine.  How do I get the STB IP listed again?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Where did my STB IP address go?
Justin46
Legend

The simple answer is, wait, eventually it should appear. However, you can generally make it appear immediately if you re-boot the STB, either by pulling the power plug for 10 seconds or so, or using the re-boot function in the In-Home Agent function under Customer Support in the Menu (the preferred way to re-boot). Once you do that, it may also be necessary to re-boot the router (not reset, just re-boot using the re-boot function in the router's menu), but then again maybe not, you will just have to see.

The STB may appear to be working correctly, but without an IP address it will not be able to get updated Guide data, nor will VOD or any of the Widgets work.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

Justin46
Legend

The simple answer is, wait, eventually it should appear. However, you can generally make it appear immediately if you re-boot the STB, either by pulling the power plug for 10 seconds or so, or using the re-boot function in the In-Home Agent function under Customer Support in the Menu (the preferred way to re-boot). Once you do that, it may also be necessary to re-boot the router (not reset, just re-boot using the re-boot function in the router's menu), but then again maybe not, you will just have to see.

The STB may appear to be working correctly, but without an IP address it will not be able to get updated Guide data, nor will VOD or any of the Widgets work.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Or you could simply hit the "widgets" button. The reason the STB IP does not list is that the STB has not needed a connection yet so it hasnt "talked" to the router yet. By hitting the widgets button, the STB will establish a network connection and obtain an IP again.

Justin46
Legend

@spacedebris wrote:

Or you could simply hit the "widgets" button. The reason the STB IP does not list is that the STB has not needed a connection yet so it hasnt "talked" to the router yet. By hitting the widgets button, the STB will establish a network connection and obtain an IP again.

Didn't think about using the Widgets to make it immediately contact the router, thanks, I guess I didn't know because 1) I never use the Widgets, I find them totally useless, and 2) it has been an awfully long time since any of my STBs have lost their IP address. Guess I will have to try that when it does happen.

Thanks again.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Bob_W
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you.  By the time I read your message (a couple of hours after I posted my question) the router found the STB.  So wait was the solution.  I'm going to have to try that technique more often <g>.

0 Likes
mikie51

My STB's loose their IP addresses several times a week.  As the original message stated, everything is running just fine but I hvae no program guides.  Its getting extremely frustrating ... 

0 Likes