Will current HD DVRs have ext. drive capability when 1.9 rolls out or ONLY the new 500 GB DVR box?
novajeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Got the email about the $40 upgrade to the 500 GB Motorola box.  I realize that once 1.9 is FINALLY rolled out, the box will have eSATA capability to tack on a supplemental HD.  My question is, can I just not pay their $40 for the new box and instead wait until 1.9 is rolled out, and then be able to use the currently useless USB port on my current silver Motorola 160 GB HD box to hook up a 1TB drive that I can get for less than the $40 upgrade fee?

Are they are any OTHER advantages to the new box over the existing ones (feature and capability wise...I don't care about recycled materials, less energy usage, etc)?

0 Likes
Re: Will current HD DVRs have ext. drive capability when 1.9 rolls out or ONLY the new 500 GB DVR bo
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

All the 7xxx series DVRs will support an external drive.  There are no plans to utilize the USB port - too slow to support MRDVR.

The 7232 has more memory (not just the disk) and is smaller, black, and supposed to use less energy (I know you said you don't care, but I mention it anyway).

0 Likes
Re: Will current HD DVRs have ext. drive capability when 1.9 rolls out or ONLY the new 500 GB DVR bo
novajeff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  I'm moving in a month or so. I wonder if, when I move and re-set-up my FiOS, if they will just bring me the new box and I can avoid this upgrade fee?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Most likely,
Just return the old boxes and wait.for the new gear to come with the tech
0 Likes
Bwangster12

Does the more memory have an impact?  Are you noticing any speed improvements?

Color of the box doesn't really mean anything to me and neither does the size.  I'm thinking about it from purely a harddrive viewpoint.  $40 bucks for 500gb is a decent deal, but while I may have to pay a little more than that for a 1 TB drive on my 7xxx series drive, it will be my drive and I'd have a bigger harddrive than the 7232.

0 Likes