Will FIOS work with regular TV (no HD)?
deltaskye1

Hate the Comcast channel lineup in Arlington, VA (no AMC, Nat Geo, Military Channel, History Channel, CMT, Style and more), and am considering FIOS TV now that Verizon has ironed out some of the installation and service kinks in my service area.

However, I do not have HD TV sets. Does FIOS work only with HD TV sets? Or, does it work with non-HD TV sets but in a more limited capacity? For example, when I look at the channel lineup on the Verizon website, it's not clear to me if I can get all the channels listed there (non-premium). What would be the point of choosing any of the HD plans if I don't have HD?

For example, according to the channel lineup, Bravel is available via Prime HD, Extreme HD and| Ultimate HD. Does that mean only HD TV sets can get this channel? Or would my non-HD TV set receive ...

I'm wondering if the DirectTV option is meant for non-HD TV sets, instead of FIOS.

I don't want to switch to FIOS if it means I cannot get more non-premium channels than I get with Comcast.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Will FIOS work with regular TV (no HD)?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Yes, FiOS plays perfectly well with SD TV.  You have 2 options when you get hooked up.

1. Go with an SD box and you won't be able to tune any of the channels above 500, but get whatever SD channels are in the tier that you subscribe to.
  2. You can get an HD box and the box will downconvert all the HD channels to SD so you can watch them on an SD TV.  Many feel that the downconverted HD versions of the channels look better than the the SD version - on an SD set.

If you want a DVR then the only option from Verizon is an HD box. No matter which way you go you will need a box as Verizon has no analog channels (what older SD TVs can tune) and I doubt any of your SD sets has a QAM tuner which would get you your local SD and HD channels without a box.

As for the DirecTV choice, I don't believe that Verizon will offer it if FiOS is available, but I'm not sure about that.

I hope that answers your questions.

0 Likes