fios fiber line and electric line interference?
meela
Enthusiast - Level 2

i had fios installed and when they ran the fiber line from the power lines running behind my house to my house, they decided to run the wire from the opposite corner of the yard, approximately 100 feet+ across my backyard, to the corner of my house.

the wire is hanging low, so low that i can jump up and grab it, and it touches one of my dogwood trees and some of the shrubs in the backyard.

the copper line i used to have ran from the same corner to a different pole, which is only about 25' from my house.  there is also my power line running from that pole to the house.

i asked them to move the wire to the closer pole and run it to the old hook that the copper line used to use and the guy told me that they cannot run the fios line near power lines, as it causes interference.

can anyone tell me if their fios lines are in close proximity to the power lines to their homes?

thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: fios fiber line and electric line interference?
meela
Enthusiast - Level 2

the crew replaced the line and everything is running smoothly.

i wish the 1st guy would have just done the work instead of making excuses...

all is well that ends well i guess.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Regardless of whether they can run it near power lines, having the cable hanging that low, especially if it is making contact with trees/bushes, is a hazard. Verizon (or someone contracted to Verizon) needs to fix it. If they can't put it up higher on that pole, then they need to run it from a different location or do a buried drop.

VZ_Brett
Contributor - Level 2

Meela, it sounds like you were mis infomred because there is no interference between fiber & the power lines. But somegirl is correct regardless it should not be hanging that low. If you would like we could get a Verizon Tech out to re hang the fiber drop. Let us know Thanks Brett

0 Likes
meela
Enthusiast - Level 2

apparently the 1st and 2nd time i called and submitted a ticket for them to come out and move the line, they sent just regular repair tech people over, instead of an installation crew (which the guy i talked to for the 3rd ticket said i needed).  none of which had any clue as to why there were there.  i was told each time that they would call beforehand to set up a time to come out and to discuss the problem, which never happened.  they just showed up at my house and luckily my wife was home.

hopefully this 3rd ticket will work out, although i am a bit skeptical as the tech showed up to my house without any information as to why he was there.  after i explained it to him that i needed to get the line moved, he reluctantly agreed, but said it would take a long time.  unfortunately we had to reschedule the appointment for another day next week.  hopefully the same guy comes out so i dont have to explain the whole thing again.

i get the impression that the crews that have been to my house have been pretty reluctant to do what needs to be done, instead, they feed me excuses. i mean, i actually told the guy (who lied to me and told me that he couldnt move the wire near the electrical lines because it would cause interference) that if i couldnt move the line that i was going to have to cancel my service, to which he replied "i guess you will have to cancel your service then".  seems very unprofessional to me.  maybe he was just having a bad day?

0 Likes
VZ_Brett
Contributor - Level 2

meela, Apologize for the headache! So you do have an appointment scheduled for next week? If you could private message me your ticket # or your info I will make sure that this gets done for you. Let me know Thanks Brett

0 Likes
meela
Enthusiast - Level 2

the crew replaced the line and everything is running smoothly.

i wish the 1st guy would have just done the work instead of making excuses...

all is well that ends well i guess.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Glad you got it fixed! As for the first guy... Maybe he was having a bad day. Even if he wasn't, try not to judge all Verizon employees by his example. I can tell you firsthand that there are a lot of smart, helpful people working for Verizon. (Not least of all the ones here on the forums.)

0 Likes