Local Advertising
vlnvlaplar

Why do I get commercials from cities over 50 miles away?  I live in the Los Angeles/Orange County area.  There are lots of more "local" businesses so I see no need to watch advertisements for towns I don't visit.

For instance, we get ads for Carraba's Italian Grill but there aren't even any in California, let alone Orange County.  I also see ads for car dealerships in Temecula.  Do these local businesses actually wish to advertise so far from their location(s)?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Local Advertising
britishrich
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same for me too - not to mention all the "local" commercials have serious sound and picture issues to the point that we have to mute it every time just to tolerate it.

VZ quality strikes again 😕

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@vinvlaplar wrote:

Why do I get commercials from cities over 50 miles away? ... I see no need to watch advertisements for towns I don't visit ... I also see ads for car dealerships in Temecula.  Do these local businesses actually wish to advertise so far from their location(s)?

@britishrich wrote:

Same for me too - not to mention all the "local" commercials have serious sound and picture issues to the point that we have to mute it every time just to tolerate it ... 

I can recall at least one instance in which I actually did buy a product from someone who didn't live right down the block.  In fact it was a different zip code (imagine!)  Even so, why would one think that control of local advertising is a Verizon issue?

Verizon is in the ISP business, not the advertising and programming business.  Adverts and related programming are controlled by broadcasters and the subcontracting services they employ to deliver programming and content to the ISP.  The ISP simply passes on what they receive.

0 Likes
britishrich
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's all fine and dandy until you compare it to my previous provider, where the A/V quality was normal. Not absolutely awful like I get now...so if you want to believe the networks happened to change that when I changed my service, feel free to do so.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@britishrich wrote:

That's all fine and dandy until you compare it to my previous provider, where the A/V quality was normal. Not absolutely awful like I get now...so if you want to believe the networks happened to change that when I changed my service, feel free to do so. 

Sorry old sport, but I fail to get your drift.  Whatever made me think for a moment that this discussion concerned advert programming and who sponsored it?

Pardon my inattention.

0 Likes
britishrich
Enthusiast - Level 3

There isn't much to "get". It's quite simple, my main point (that you yourself quoted) was that the quality on local adverts is awful, and it wasn't before I had Verizon. Fact.

So the idea that the provider is entirely unrtelated doesn't stand up.

0 Likes
Known Unknowns and Unknowables (a la Rumsfeld)
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@britishrich wrote:

... my main point (that you yourself quoted) was that the quality on local adverts is awful, and it wasn't before I had Verizon. Fact ...

Barring the appearance of any supportable evidence for this assertion, I'll take it as "fact."

I bid you good luck and good viewing.

0 Likes
britishrich
Enthusiast - Level 3

What do you want me to do take date stamped screen shots? Geez.

You should work for VZ with that attitude, if you don't already.

0 Likes