NEW TO FIOS
BMOC

hAVE NOT GOTTEN HOOKED UP TO FIOS YET, was wondering how they handle fax machines/lines seems like they are doing it wirless which is great less cables to trip over and I am gussing they charge like comcast for another whole phone line is this correct and I have a new HP printer that can do wirless but not sure if it can do the newer email where you can sent from your cell phone a say send a pictures that will printout

0 Likes
Re: NEW TO FIOS
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

As a customer you should not think of the phone service as anything different that what you are used to.  The Phone Service will use your existing home phone wiring.  The fax machine will plug into any telephone jack you would normally use.  There is no reason you cannot use your FIOS phone line, no need to get another phone line unless of course you need a dedicated fax line.

As far as connecting the printer you can connect the printer via an ethernet cable or wirless LAN connection (assuming your printer supports one of these).  The connection from the printer will go into the Verizon router.  Once the connection is established you should be able to print.  As far as the ability to send pictures from your cell phone to the printer, not sure how that works but no reason it can't work by following the instructions provided with the printer.

BMOC

Yes, I know technically speaking there is only one phone line, but with comcast you have your phone number and another number for the fax line that you pay another ten dollars for I was asking if this is also the case with fios or do they just use the one phone number that has one sort of ring when you get a voice phone call and another kind of ring with a different pitch when you get a fax?  I just don't see a place on the fios web site to say you have a fax machine and how to get this number switched over as well

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is really no different than standard phone service ... it's just that the signal is delivered to your home over fiber instead of traditional copper.   If you decide that you want two phone numbers (i.e. two lines) in your home, you can have that provisioned and it will be delivered just like you would get with traditional service (the ONT -- the device which converts from the fiber back to the copper delivery system inside of your home -- has two phone line outputs on it that that the technician can connect to your existing phone wiring in your home).