i just had FIOS instlaled on 9/16...I switched from comcast.
by the end of the second day I had 3 issues:
1) one of the set top boxes (1 of 3) just didn't work..the whole installation took about 6 hours. I assume this is something that should be checked before the technician leaves? - I called and they are drop shipping me another box
2) the channels the salesman told me I'd get were not the ones i received - meaning there are less than expected - I called about this and the rep told me there is nothing he can do. The order says this so you get this. It was like he really didn't care at all if I had a good first use experience with Verizon. I feel like I did something wrong since I didn't get it in writing when I was on the phone - but I definitely feel like i was overpromised.
3) I hosted a webex conference call today and my new FIOS internet kicked me off about 4 times in 4 hours - which stops the meeting for everyone. The speed appears to be identical to Comcast, but the high frequency of drops is unexpected. is this normal?
I haven't returned my Comcast boxes yet and am considering switching back. Any advice?
09-24-2011 07:00 PM - edited 09-24-2011 07:01 PM
Are you by any chance using a Wireless connection to connect to the Internet? Try Ethernet to see if the drops still happen. They should definitely not be occurring.
As for the Set Top Box, what is wrong with it? Refusing to activate or is it just not powering up all together? Is it showing an error code if it does power up?
09-25-2011 02:06 AM
Thanks for the message -
1) For the webex, I was using wireless since I don't have ethernet in my home office. I agree that wired would work - but I didn't need wired when I had comcast.
2) Once plugged in the box would read "CUE, LDR, BOOT" over and over again and never get activated. It got a new box and it works now. Looks like the technician just didn't try to activate it.
09-26-2011 04:26 AM
That's the problem with this company...what they tell you and what you get are two different things. One company is bad, the other is worse. I can't wait for "someone" to show up and end this monopoly.
10-17-2011 06:41 PM
Me again -
It just keeps getting better- NOT!
1) I just got am automated phone call from Verizon saying we were late with our first payment. I never got any bill in the mail so I logged in and paid. And yes - I looked - the option to not receive paper bills is not checked. We should have received a bill.
2) We finally returned the Comcast boxes. The verizon installer told us they'd cancel our comcast service..but apparently that only covers the tv..b/c comcast said we never cancelled internet or phone...so comcast wants phone and internet payments even thought we had verizon...even though verizon said they'd cancel our comcast service..>**bleep**???
3) for whatever reason - we are having trouble with the remote control on one box. If you are surfing the box suddenly stops responding to channel changes. If you change the volume up or down one notch...you'll be able to change the channels again.
4) This one is my fault for not asking - but with the multi room DVR...you can only pause channels on the tv connected direclty to the DVR. This was a big downgrade from Comcast. BUT - even on the DVR box it only pauses for a couple of minutes...significantly shorter than COMCAST.
In terms of dropping web ex - it turns out the installer just plugged my old wireless router directly into the new wireless router and all my machines were still talkin to the old hardware. Not sure why - but after I got rid of my old router and completed the set up with the new router I haven't had any drops.
Overall - this experience has been terrible. I am highly reccomending to everyone I work with (or see on the street) to stay away from Verizon.