Switching from Cable TV to Direct TV--need input on DirectTV
jps045

I am thinking of switching from CABLE TV to DIRECT TV..can anyone give me any advice when dealing with DirectTV..much appreciated..Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Switching from Cable TV to Direct TV--need input on DirectTV
prisaz
Legend

@jps045 wrote:

I am thinking of switching from CABLE TV to DIRECT TV..can anyone give me any advice when dealing with DirectTV..much appreciated..Thanks

Are you looking to do this through a Verizon Bundle? Compare the offers directly from Directv with what Verizon can offer, and then make your choice. I had the two seperate for years and was very happy. But you my find a bundle saves you money. As soon as FiOS TV was available, I dropped DTV because they wanted me to sign a new contract and pay for upgrades to my equipment. Yea right. But I was very happy with the service for like 10 years. Do your research and then decide.

jct5

Directv has always been good to me.  I never had a billing problem with them and customer service was good.  Some of the complaints - 2 year minimum agreement and picture freezing with bad weather.  I only switched to verizon triple play because it was more cost effective.  Well I hope so at least; I'll see when I get my first bill.

0 Likes
sparkie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would NOT switch to Directv through Verizon..The Verizon sales rep failed to mention several key "additional" charges and when I tried to get them straightened out I got the runaround from both Verizon and Directv. This continues and has gone on for months. I have been charged $50 and higher on top of the "total" price quoted by Verizon.

Do your research on Directv well. I can no longer get most Philly sporting team games, the weather channel does not have true "local on the eights", and I have more frequent signal issues than I had with cable. There are other issues.

I looked into NFL Sunday Ticket. They want $319 for the season and there is no guarantee I will be able to see my team's games. That is outrageous. There must be a lot of subscribers with more money than they know what to do with if Directv is able to charge that kind of money.

pl626
Contributor - Level 1

Which cable service do you have?  My experience with DircTV was pretty good, but about 5 years back, when they tried to provision me with HD, they told me my neighbors trees were blocking the HD signal, which was a different angle than the SD signal for me.  Sadly, I knew my only choice was FIOS, as Cox would have been my cable alternative, but their customer service is terrible. Besides, I was getting FIOS internet anyway, so why not get the TV as well. Cable couldn't compete with fiber 5 years ago.

For the most part, it's been fine, other than my initial provisioning nightmare, some billing issues and the nightmare of having to contact Verizon, let alone their billing department.  Verizon's customer service is about on par with Cox or worse in some cases.  I would definitely not want to get DirecTV through Verizon, because if you have any issues, billing or technical, you might be{please keep your posts courteous} if you have to deal with Verizon.

I have to say, as far as picture quality, FIOS has been great and I don't have to worry about cloudy days like I did with DirecTV.  However, I do get the occasional picture stutter which has a similar effect as a cloudy day with D*.  Ordering special packages, like ESPN gameplan is not very easy with V* unlike with D*.  Last time I tried, they sent me in a loop from my TV to their website to their 800 number then back to their website.  I gave up.  I don't think it's changed much from what I've seen.

I've seen Comcast's HD, and it's not as good as FIOS.  Cox, what can I say, they live up to their name...