Switching To Fios
cws1970
Enthusiast - Level 2

What has been the experience of issues with prior Internet / phone companies when switching to Fios?  If I want to keep my same phone number, will my existing company automatically stop service once I sign on for Fios (I currently have phone/Internet through the same provider)?  Will there be a lag time prior to Fios setup where I do not have phone/Internet service or is it a pretty smooth changeover once Fios is installed?

0 Likes
Re: Switching To Fios
VZ_Lori
Enthusiast - Level 2

The switch over to Verizon should go smoothly.  If you are planning on keeping your telephone # then your current phone provider will provide a date to Verizon as to when they will release it.  It usually is done same day as install. If not Verizon will provide a temporary number to use until the number is released.

As far as your Internet service is concerned it stays in place with your current provider until you call and cancel service with them.  Most do not cancel until Verizon has been installed and is up and working, this way you are never left without internet service.

Thanks for reaching out to us and I hope this has provided some answers for you.

0 Likes
Re: Switching To Fios
Johnny-5-lives
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just had FIOS set up 2 days ago and so I had Comcast cancelled on Feb 21 but Fios installation on Feb 20, so that way if something "oops" happened then I could call Comcast that day and keep internet running without it being turned off.  I did the same with direct tv.  I know I am paying for an extra day of service I would not use but its better to be safe that sorry. 

That being said the installers were 100% top notch.  I have never had better installers since I have had cable, sattelite and now FIOS in 3 different houses.  I don't know if I was just lucky but the two guys were the best and true to the commerical stayed until they felt my wife and I completely understood everything we had.  Because of this I even upgraded my package on Monday to Extreme based on the recommendation from the installers. 

I have read horror stories on here but from at least my first few days as a customer I am very happy with the start.